The Setley Plain Gibbet By Desmond Le Pard #poem #poetry

97280015

I thought I might post one of my Dad’s longer, epic poems about the New Forest, this one about a spot near to where we lived between Sway and Brockenhurst that I passed every day on the train to school. I hope you enjoy his skills as both a story teller and a poet.

dad-poem-setley-plain-page-one

dad-poem-the-setley-plain-gibbet0002

dad-poem-the-setley-plain-gibbet0003

dad-poem-the-setley-plain-gibbet0004

This entry was posted in family, poems, poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to The Setley Plain Gibbet By Desmond Le Pard #poem #poetry

It’s so great you have these poems of your father’s πŸ™‚

2. colingarrow says:

Excellent – love the use of language. Mwah hah hah…

3. What a poet! Fantastic and atmospheric. πŸ™‚

4. Samuel Taylor Coleridge would be proud of your dad! As would Edgar Allan Poe!! ❀

5. Wow what a story. I’m not much for poetry but I enjoyed reading this. The cold and the fear jumped off the page. πŸ™‚

6. Annika Perry says:

Terrific poem by your father, Geoff. Very atmospheric, fantastic story and reminds me of some folk songs, particularly by Show of Hands.

7. trifflepudling says:

Epic folk poem!

8. Erika Kind says:

Wow, that give me shivers. Fantastic poem and heritage of your father!

9. Mick Canning says:

Splendid, Geoff. Really atmospheric.

10. Absolutely superb. He’d love what you are doing now

11. alva1206 says:

Drawing the reader in word by word, line by line until we feel we’re there in the sinister cold, immersed in fear. Your Dad’s words are magical, Geoff. Thanks for sharing.

12. It’s awesome you still have these. What a Poe-esque piece! Love it. Thanks for sharing your dad’s writing. (Also, love that photo.)