A Little Light Dusting #mondaymotivations #flashfiction

Esther Newton’s Monday Motivations series gives us three words; I chose Euphoria

Making the Best of It

Euphoria Plain lay back on the blanket and grinned; it had all turned about so well. Why on earth had she worried? Meeting Martin’s parents was going to be an ordeal, or so he said, and the first half hour, as they engaged in stilted conversation, appeared to confirm her worst fears. Seeing Honor’s face when she tried the mince pies had been dreadful; that moue of distaste which, in truth, Euphoria understood. They did seem rather bland, even though she’d found some icing sugar to coat them in after Martin had said his mother had a sweet tooth. But that was the low point. After that, Colin had made a risky joke, Honor had kissed him on the lips causing Martin to hurry indoors – she wondered where he’d gone – but, actually in his absence they’d all got on so well, even playing a ridiculous game of made up twister on the picnic blanket. Yes, she could well see her and Honor spending time together. She wasn’t at all uptight and Colin was a bit of a devil, so unlike Martin’s description of him. She couldn’t be happier. Euphoria turned to look at the house. Where had Martin got to?

Upstairs Martin was frantic. He was sure he had put the cocaine in the usual place in the kitchen but it had gone. He looked out of the bedroom window at his parents, snogging by the gazebo and Euphoria rolling on the blanket like she was having some sort of ecstatic fit. If he didn’t know better he’d have said they’d been at it.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany, prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A Little Light Dusting #mondaymotivations #flashfiction

Oh how funny! I loved it! I guess he needed a better hiding place, but at least the parent meeting went well!!

2. Phil Taylor says:

Euphoria Plain? That is one great character name!

3. Eileen says:

Oh my……wouldn’t want to be there when it wore off!

4. Oh, no. Euphoria…great name to be in the right place, right time ???

5. Erika Kind says:

Haha…. it was meant to be…. lol!!!

6. There’s trouble a-brewing………

7. 😀 😀 😀 No wonder they’re rolling around. Guess the cocaine didn’t taste as sweet as icing sugar. Too hilarious. An honest mistake, right? Ha ha ha.

8. Sacha Black says:

pahahahaha OUTRAGEOUS!

9. noelleg44 says:

Euphoria? Of COURSE she found the coke, but how did she get it into the parents? Martin? A loser…

10. Anabel Marsh says:

So funny! A nice Sunday morning read.

11. Pingback: Monday Motivations | esthernewtonblog

12. Annika Perry says:

So funny but naughty, Geoff but hey, it eased that first tricky ‘meet the parents’! Great story on the prompt and I like the way your minds works!

13. So funny. He needs to find a far better hiding place, though. I’m sure I had something like these mince pies when I went to Amsterdam. I suppose it’s better than choking on a sixpence, though?

Clever idea to turn the word into a name. Great outcome for that awkward first meeting with the folks.