Geoffle 6.0, the Reboot

geoff-and-jenz

Ok, time for a moment of self-indulgence. By some off-kilter astro-clock I’m told I have collected 60 New Years on this fast moving lump of rock. As the heading suggests I’d rather think of that as Geoffrey 6.0, the Reboot while I hurtle into another decade of caking making and taking, dancing and prancing and adding to my collection of ‘every day is Saturday’ time-fillers.

And on momentous occasions such as this, now that my eye-tests are free and as a Londoner my freedom pass is but a click away, I intend to take a moment to expound on a life philosophy.

I’m not someone taken much by grand schemes, anything organised or supernatural or indeed much that is not susceptible to ridicule so in writing this I expect to be teased, laughed at and generally the subject of incessant and, hopefully, complete mockery.

But I did ask myself the other day what characteristics do I think have helped me reach this point on the Grand Bannister of Life without too many splinters perforating my arse. So here we go:

• optimism: not everyone’s cup of tea and I understand that there’s a middle ground haunted by the dullards who count themselves as realists before reaching the mind-grinders who are pessimists but honestly, it’s one life, it might end any second in a death both tragic and comic so, smile and squeeze out all the juices now; Half full? Half empty? Pah! Tosh!! It’s overflowing
  • resilience: you don’t walk through as many doors as I have without the odd one swinging back and smacking you on the nose. I learnt early that you still need to walk through the door. And if you can avoid kicking the sodding thing on the way past, so much the better because..
  • do not, under any circumstances, beat your head against a brick wall (or kick a swinging door): because, dear reader the wall doesn’t give a hoot and it never hurts the wall. Walk away and find something soft and spongy to argue with, or debate over, because at least there’s some chance the soft and spongy might give a little
  • be generous: my old man had an aphorism for every occasion: here the apposite one would be ‘always leave a man with his trousers’ – never just take, give at least a little and preferably a lot. You’ll be amazed how good it feels and how often there is a surprising return, but…
  • do not give and expect a return: because, if you condition your generosity you are liable to be disappointed
  • respect, like trust, is earned: and like wisdom is not a dictate of age, authority, position in life or any other criteria. And the more senior, educated, affluent, or powerful you are the greater the requirement on you to make it easier for others who might be less fortunate or in a less exalted position. I would modify the old adage ‘with power, comes responsibility’ by saying that ‘ with every ounce of power comes a tonne of responsibility’. The scales should not be tipped in favour of those who already have.
  • and what would be my motto? I was once asked what I’d learnt from my father than had stood me in good stead in life and after a little, but some relatively deep thinking, I replied:

speak when you are spoken to and confess your farts

In many ways that sums us both up.

This entry was posted in experiences, family, life, miscellany, philosophy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Geoffle 6.0, the Reboot

1. susieshy45 says:

Congratulations and happy birthday. Loved your list especially the part about giving without thinking of getting something in return.
    Susie

You are most wonderful His Geoffleship!!! The reboot 6.0 will be a most magnificent Geoffles! Love ya! Happy birthday!!!! 🎂🎂🎂🎂

3. Sacha Black says:

hahahaha that last line is hilarious! Love your motto. Great life lessons to have learnt, you are so old and wise my dear friend. Oh, not old. Sorry I mean young. YOUNG dammit. Have an amazing day kiddo. xoxox

4. Ah, the fabulous sixties, when life is just – well – fabulous! But only for those who have just such a collection of life hacks as you have now shared 🙂 Rock on sir – and keep on farting and confessing!

5. Sue Vincent says:

Hppy birthday, Geoffle 🙂

6. trifflepudling says:

Happy Birthday to a Diamond Geezer! Hope you and the Textiliste have a great day.

7. Lovely, Geoff, you young codger. Happy Birthday. Have a great day.

8. Erika Kind says:

Such wonderful ways of going through life, Geoffle! And I love your father’s quote!

9. davidprosser says:

The latest reboot has left you very profound Geoff, almost like being grown up. I don’t recall a similar reboot back when I reached my momentous bus pass age so perhaps was out that day resulting in my still juvenile behaviour.
    Have a fantastic Birthday and prepare yourself for the next biggie in 5 years.
    Hugs

Happy birthday, Geoff! It’s a well-earned milestone. I wish you a wonderful decade. I agree with every ounce of your advice, even the last that made me laugh. It reminds me of an Australian comedian form the 80s, George Smilovici, who had a routine “I’m tuff”. The crowd would call out, “How tuff are you?” One of his responses was “I’m so tuff I own up to other people’s farts.” There’s probably no need to do that. I’ve just tried to source a clip for you, and there’s a good one there, but he’s not owning up to any farts in it.
    Have a great birthday!

I’ll look him up. He’ll probably blow me away

• Norah says:

You might change your opinion of me forever! Funny thing was, we saw him perform at a shopping centre and he was very funny and the show was family-friendly, so I bought a couple of his LPs (before CDs!!!) When I got home I was totally dumbfounded. It wasn’t quite what my genteel ears expected and the second LP did not make it to those for whom I’d intended the purchase!

11. Happy Birthday Geoff. Welcome to the Sexygenarians (I hit the mark in May).

12. Dylan Hearn says:

Happy birthday, Geoffle. Sixty years young with the mind and body of a fifty-nine year old. I would have thought your motto would have been “Never miss the opportunity to catch forty winks.”

13. gordon759 says:

Or
    dico autem vobis locuti sunt, et confitebor pedit
    I think, it would look good under your crest.

14. I think your dad was a very wise man, Geoff and you can’t go wrong following his advice! Enjoy the rest of your birthday 🙂

15. Anabel Marsh says:

Happy birthday! I’ll see how you get on before deciding whether to turn 60 myself.

You are more than a star Geoff you are a planet! You are Planet wise! Your dad was a wise man too. I like the the thought of 6.0 Reboot ..help I am three years into to it too!! Be well , be happy be careful!!

17. jan says:

Looking good despite your advanced age! Have a good one. At least you haven’t started naming your farts…

18. Happy 6.0 Reboot. May you have many, many more. 🙂 😛
    I sort of remember my 6.0. o_O

19. Ahh….A Sagitarrian who made it to the 60’s…we should start a support group. Happy Belated, Geoff. Love your life philosophy. ❤️

20. Happy birthday Geoff! Wonderful advice, as always, but this was particularly transparent – so I’m to go out immediately and buy someone a present of a pair of trousers with a picture of a door on them. Right?
    Hope the celebrations go splendiferously. You are the wittiest reboot I ever saw.

yes, that’s the ticket – there’s a line of straight legged aperture pants you can acquire from Primarni, the discount Italian branded rubbish store that will provide both easy wear and minimum draughts. They come in various sleep sizes from Sloth, through Occasional Sofa to Preternaturally Comatose – all in asylum green.

• I knew it. Ikea is so over. I will never wear my Bjukkerskorn plus-two-by-fours and VULVHOLMEN drainpipes again. Once again, thanks for the tips, Geoff. I can’t believe you knew I was Occasional Sofa.

21. Bun Karyudo says:

Congratulations to you! Your approach to life sounds pretty sensible and has obviously stood you in good stead. I especially liked the bits about optimism and generosity. That kind of attitude is bound to make life more fun to experience for you and for everyone around you too.

22. Geoff, I’m sorry to be late for your 6.0! That’s a great way to look at it. I might borrow that. 😀 Belated wishes for a wonderful birthday. Mega hugs.

23. I so do learn from you, oh great one. Any advice on going through revolving doors? 😀
    I hope you had a splendid Birthday. Apologies for being a little late, but it’s been a bit of a week…because I was walking in your footsteps. Enjoy the 60s.

24. Autism Mom says:

Sage words, my friend! Thank you for sharing them and many many more.

25. Happy Belated Birthday! You’re reboot is encouraging. 😀

26. Some wise words there, Geoff and I endorse all of them except the last – isn’t that what the dog’s for?

27. Al Lane says:

Great advice, in your own inimitable style, as ever.

Optimism, you say? The blinder, the better, I say! 🙂