My Love Affair With Snow #poem #poetry

I thought I’d share a poem I wrote a while back, on one of those rare days when London is thrown into complete chaos by a dumping of snow; today is frost-crisp and enticing for dog and man to wrap up and venture forth. Maybe snow will come to renew my inner-child and my love affair with snow.

p2020197

Before Dog there was Dog; long live Dog, RIP Blitz, yay to snow!

I wake to a muffled world

where the curtains shine with a sepia tint.

Somewhere, I hear a faint rustle of ticker tape,

falling in drifts.

It is eerily quiet as I peek out

half knowing the reason.

A magician, up all night,

has covered the garden,

deadening the air with nature’s Kapok.

A bandy-legged primate, waterproofed, uncertain

overtakes a drunk car, failing its sobriety test.

I smile with guilty pleasure. Routine

dissolves as flakes on the windows.

Any thought of work drips from the sill

To form an icicle of excuses.

A family of Michelin people

waddle in vague trails,

their usually confident tread undone

as the kerbs shift and slip to unexpected places.

Inappropriately shod fashionistas

curse their vanity.

I skip outside. Boots creak,

as if in need of oil.

The smothered hawthorn emerges at my touch

releasing a cloud of hissing white gas.

Everywhere unthreatening Hoodies

reveal glimpses of childhoods re-found.

Dogs, confused by chest deep cold white mud,

gambol and spring, demented in their ignorance,

chasing balls that dissolve on impact,

shaking their heads in surprise.

The Park confounds.

Cool mannered, indifferent teenagers

become seven again.

Armed with lightweight ordnance,

even friendly fire is welcomed.

Young families, paroled by snow

from school and work

play god and mould a choir of obese people,

accessorized with twigs and vegetables.

The enfeebled sun fights to dampen

my mood. Cars retake the streets,

leaving a grey gloop in their wake.

I slither home, uphill whichever way I go.

Unaccustomed muscles growl, frozen fingers

protest, each jab and squeeze

waking me from my illicit

dreaming, leaving my love affair with snow

in puddles on the parquet.

p1020716

Dulwich Park becomes a wonderland for man and beast

I remembered this poem when thinking about Esther Newton’s latest  Monday Motivation’s theme: the Cold

This entry was posted in home, poems, poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to My Love Affair With Snow #poem #poetry

1. noelleg44 says:

How wonderful, Geoff. Your words are exactly how I feel on one of those rare snow days. Maybe if I lived in New England with their tons of snowfall, I’d feel differently??

Oh I do hope we get snow!!!!!

3. philipparees says:

Lovely, such exact details, such portraits of dog/god and the melting on the parquet perfect.

4. I don’t like snow though I’ve grown up in snow and cold, but I like your poem. It describes the world blanketed in snow so well. 🙂

5. Maggie saw her first snow at Easter 2008 when we woke up to about three feet of it! She went out and stopped dead as if to say ‘WTF is this????’ In the next village, kids and adult alike were enjoying sleds and taboggans on the banks. It was terrific, even if it was April!
    I love snow, provided I don’t have to go out in it unless to build a snowman.

6. Susanne says:

Snow does bring out the kid in all of us, eh? I love waking up on a snowy morning and before looking outside just by the way the light comes in the window knowing there was snow overnight. Nice poem, Geoff. Brings back the joy of snow.

7. stevetanham says:

Great read, Geoff. Must get out in the snow more, this winter.

8. You mentioned the two things I love best a bout a good snowfall – the way the world becomes silent and still and the way people rediscover friendliness and camaraderie. It’s a great poem!!

9. Sacha Black says:

Love the concept of a magician making it snow 🙂

Lovely poem Geoff!
    And Happy Birthday to you 🎂🍾🍾🍾🍾🍺🍻🍷🍸🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾❤💓💖💗💙💚💛💜💝💞💟💟💟

11. esthernewton says:

A beautiful poem. It does make one wish for snow. Hope you’ve had a wonderful birthday!

12. jan says:

You make me almost wish we got snow out here more often. We only see snow maybe once or twice a year and then just on the mountain tops! You paint such a lovely picture – reminds me of Penny Lane somehow. (same feeling I guess)

13. Eileen says:

Marvelous description and delightful abuse of words. You not only transport us, you transform our mood and redeem the losses of aging. Bless you!

14. Pingback: Monday Motivations | esthernewtonblog