What You Can Do To Make The World A Better Place For Marginalized Groups

I don’t usually reblog a political post but this one, on white privilege and how to make a difference is worth a read

Dalindcy

The people around me are still a little hungover. Election hungover.

But politics is not what I want to focus on today. I think everything that could be said has been said; and I want to focus on something a little more positive, regardless of what (and if) you voted.

This past week, many people have asked me ‘what can I do?’ in reaction to all this. For many people, the election results were a shock. So many of us didn’t realize how racist and sexist our world can be – because they don’t deal with it on a daily basis.

What is white privilege?

The term ‘white privilege’ has become more loaded over the past two years. Telling someone they’re privileged often sparks a negative and defensive response – people don’t like to be called privileged.

”What is white privilege? It’s the level of societal advantage that comes with…

View original post 1,220 more words

This entry was posted in miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What You Can Do To Make The World A Better Place For Marginalized Groups

1. Political posts end up getting political responses.
    Privilege. White privilege. As far as I could see, the blog author was white.
    There is an issue about people outwith minority groups calling the shots.
    That’s like men telling me about feminism. There was one decent point in there. I think it was the one about listening.
    Next, there was one mention of sexism in the intro. Why bother? Because skin colour matters more than women.
    Why is a white woman writing about racism? Can’t she write about sexism? There’s hardly a shortage of material.
    Very seriously, I do think women get sidelined as a minority group, both in terms of numbers and power/influence. Why does race trump women in terms of discrimination?

• Dalindcy Koolhoven says:

Hi. I’m the writer of this original post – thank you for replying.

I do mention in the article that I’m white, and that i’m writing from a point of privilege. Before writing/posting it, I thought about if it was appropriate to write this type of article.

In my post, I tried to quote as many PoC as I could. I quoted an article written by a person of colour about white privilege and I quoted some tweets from PoC. I wanted those people to be the voice of the article, I wanted to amplify their voices, not necessarily mine.

I’m not sure if I understood your last point, but nowhere am I saying that racism trumps women in terms of discrimination. There is a ton more I could write about both subjects, and maybe I will.

• Thanks for your response. As a white woman, I don’t write about racism. As a heterosexual woman I don’t write about homosexuality. While we can all be allies, I think the preferable course is to let those who live those lives to speak for themselves.

My point about sexism was that you gave it a nodding glance and then went on to talk about racism. Mostly, racism gets more airplay than sexism. You can’t call someone nigger, but you can call them a hell of a lot of names that refer to women’s genitalia. Women are a minority group yet, we are always downplayed, ignored.

I completely agree you need to debate sexism at length and constantly but I see no point in some sort of allocation of space. And I certainly don’t believe in limiting myself to talking about 50 something white British male issues. Each to their own

• Dalindcy Koolhoven says:

I didn’t mean to just give sexism a ‘nodding’ glance, I think it’s a problem deeply rooted in our society that needs to be addressed also. (I have written about it before). But it didn’t feel right to do so in this post – I might choose to do so in a future one. It also didn’t feel right to just write ‘our society was horrified by the election because of just racism’ because it’s more than that. It’s also sexism and white nationality. That’s why I mentioned it at the beginning.

I appreciate your point of view though, and thank you for taking the time to commenting.

I really don’t read it the way you do, Kate and yep, politics gets discussion which is at the heart of the post. Personally I see no reason why a man can’t discuss feminism any more than a Brit can’t talk about Trump; I believe it’s the quality of the debate not the characteristics of the debater that matters. And since this is about white privilege then sexism would sort of be going off at a tangent. But yep, feel free to comment.

• So many of us didn’t realize how racist and sexist our world can be

I think that mentions sexism?

But yes, people can discuss. It’s just the telling other people how to do it that gripes.

2. trifflepudling says:

Hi Dalindcy, It was interesting to read your post and thank you, but I did find it a little matronising(?) . I think you’re probably preaching to the converted with Geoff’s audience but one thing that did occur to me is that minorities might find such attitudes condescending and tell us they can fight their own battles. They may have had enough of privileged whites barging in thinking they can solve everything! As roughseasinthemed says, we have already kind of worked out things we might do. We must all be kind to, and help, everyone. Please do keep writing, though!

• Dalindcy Koolhoven says:

Hi, thank you for your comment!

I was scared it would come off that way, and didn’t mean it to. I’m sorry if it did, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

Never did I mean to preach how people should be dealing with this issue. White people elected Donald Trump, and I feel like white people need to fight the worst effects of his administration. Not because I’m a saint, I’m not (I also write in the post that it was hard for me to confront myself with the honest truth – sometimes it still is) but because I feel like white people should increase their effort in the war against white supremacy.

I just read an article that said ”Never should the majority of the burden to end oppression fall on the oppressed. White people must be the primary ones to deal with what white people cause”, that’s what I was trying to achieve with this article.

• The tone of your piece shows you’re a considerate sort of person and I wasn’t offended 🙂. Preaching to the converted is just a saying really. You’re just trying to make the best of things over there and it all seems very fraught and upsetting at the moment.
        This sentence is a bit puzzling: “The truth is, white people elected Donald Trump, and because of that, I think white people should increase their effort to fight against white supremacy.” Surely this is contradictory? They’re not likely to do that.
        The whole concept of white privilege is too complex to discuss here, but your positive approach is a start. People need to think it all through in direct dealings, though, or they’ll come across as pious and it could be counter-productive.
        It’s easy to assume the worst, but we have to give DT a few months. I’m going to try to remain prepared to be surprised for now – otherwise I might go a bit crazy!
        We’ve got a lot going on over here in Britain at the moment, but good luck with your campaign over there!

• Dalindcy Koolhoven says:

Thank you for your thoughtful words. 🙂

I might need to clarify that sentence in the post. What I meant is that white people elected Trump, and it is the job of other white people to fight against supremacy. In this post, at a certain point I describe how many of us didn’t realize that Trump could win. When our friends and families would make racist remarks, we looked the other way. Having open conversation about this is important in my opinion. 🙂

• ps apologies for my liking my own comment by mistake!

Curious how different people read this differently. Dalindcy makes it clear, i think, that is is about listen and following not leading, not imposing. But hey ho, you’re right about me believing in this stuff. And if we dont get involved then frankly that feels worse than leaving it those hurt by it. But maybe I’m missing the point too (not for the first time)