Flying Islands – Stuff Happens #microfiction

Jane Doughtery’s picture prompt is

jane-utopia

Decluttering

Out in the ocean, there is an archipelago of small evenly-sized islands where the Frngg people live. Each island is home to a Frngg family. Once a family moves in, it stays until either there are no children or there is a serious breach of Frngg etiquette. The list is long and difficult to interpret and the worst infraction is cluttering.

Cluttering involves a failure to (a) keep the open areas tidy and (b) dispose of all unnecessary possessions. Frngg understand there is a premium on space.

Peter Nrrth is different. He likes stuff; from shells on the beach to dead animals that fall from the sky, he has kept everything. The battles with his father and, later, the authorities became the stuff of legend.

Eventually Peter stood in front of the elders and waited for their decision. It was inevitable; it was eviction.

He shrugged. ‘You’ll be sorry.’

The seated judges scowled and told him to remove his possessions forthwith.

‘Nope, you do it.’

And so, on a sunny Thursday, the contractors appeared and filled a barge while Peter and his family watched. Peter looked relaxed and his family did their best to copy their leader but they all felt he had gone mad and they would now be homeless and made to live on a raft until an island became free.

As the last workman left, Peter walked to the small jetty and untied the rope. At the moment the rope fell loose, the island shook and groaned and begin to float.

Peter smiled at his family, at the stunned faces of the other islanders. His wife stuttered, ‘How…?’

‘All my stuff was keeping us anchored. Now we are free to explore our world. And,’ his eye had a wicked twinkle, ‘find some more stuff, lots of stuff.’

Oddly, the rest of his family didn’t share his excitement.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, microfiction, prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Flying Islands – Stuff Happens #microfiction

1. Deb says:

Oh, this is beautiful. I would have shared his excitement for sure. It is time for Peter to go on a fresh adventure. A great lesson learned today.

2. Peter sounds very much like someone I know. In fact, I live with him.

I wanna Peter too! Floating on an island with space to collect new stuff!!!!

4. Sometimes laughing hurts. This is one of those times. 😀 😛 😀

5. Love it. 😀 Also, the beginning reminds me a bit of Douglas Adams.

6. A very ‘cute’ piece of flash fiction, Geoff. Loved the imagination behind it. I always thought floating islands were some kind of dessert?

7. Sacha Black says:

Awesome photo. I know ur bit is the flash, but I also love the photo!

8. noelleg44 says:

Just so long as he’s not a hoarder!

9. Eileen says:

Love your creative mind. It must be cluttered though for all your wonderful stories to come out of it. Perhaps you are on a floating Island of the mind and that way encounter fresh ideas every day.

10. Pingback: Microfiction challenge Utopia Ark: the entries – Jane Dougherty Writes

11. Wonderful story. I married into a family of hoarders and I come from a family of purgers. Makes for interesting discussions — no flying islands as yet.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the end even if his family did not!

12. merrildsmith says:

Good story–made me laugh. 🙂

13. Joy Pixley says:

I always did suspect those people who keep everything uncluttered. Now I feel justified in my chaos: it’s keeping me grounded. 😉 Thanks for the laugh!