Danse Macabre #microfiction

Molly felt as if she had left her body. The consultant’s lips moved but his voice came from the adjacent room. ‘There are treatments though as yet no cure. We can…’
Her ears simply echoed with ‘multiple sclerosis’, two words that leapt and spun like the opening sequence of her acclaimed Nutcracker, dazzling, gravity defying words that held her as she had that audience.
‘Miss Stephens?’ He was insistent.
She settled a smile, sinking gracefully to his stage, part of his chorus now. Two more words, hers now. ‘How long?’ He misunderstood, thinking she feared her body’s mortality. A shake, soft yielding eyes stopped his dissembling. ‘To dance.’
But she knew. The strength and control had already gone. Soon even myopic fans would see. And that was her real death.
She gave it six months as a guinea pig, let their chemicals do their thing on her nervous system. She allowed them to use her pliant body, just a different choreographer making aching demands on her whole being while her mind did what it had always done and channelled the pain back on itself.
She had spent years with her life scheduled in meticulous detail. So it would be her death. The 15th anniversary of her debut at Covent Garden, October. She dressed carefully, wrapped in the fur she loved and made her way to the Millennium Bridge. The audience was sparse: a sea-sharp wind deterred all but the hardy. No one noticed as the slight figure stepped onto the handrail. One couple gasped as 5000 had that first night, following the arc of her first jump.
Her dance, graceful, determined and focused mirrored the swirling currents of the roaring tumult. The river gave her one final rapturous acclaim and she was gone.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, short story and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Danse Macabre #microfiction

So poignant… my friend was diagnosed with MS recently… it has stripped her of the active life she once led.
    And I lost my cousin to MS a few years ago….

Another mean and unkind disease, beautiful written Geoff.

3. janmalique says:

Vivid, emotive and beautiful.

4. jan says:

Oh my, such a tragic tale. The title is perfect.

5. Beautifully written Geoff!

6. Erika Kind says:

Very tragic but how you wrote it is excellent. We all feel the pain and can understand her choice.

7. Eileen says:

Well written. Like the way you kept the dance metaphor going throughout. “sinking gracefully to his stage, part of the chorus now…..:” poignant through out. “the river gave her one final rapturous acclaim and she was gone.” Fantastic.

8. noelleg44 says:

Wonderfully scripted, Geoff. I have two friends with MS. It’s not a forgiving disease.

It seems to be dreadful, the incremental way it works its insidious way though you. I’m sure it isn’t always as bleak as I’ve portrayed but a cure would be very welcome

9. Wow. An excellent depiction of a horrid circumstance–with a sentence attached. ❤ ❤

10. Beautiful and horrible. You know I love this one. ❤ Well done.

11. Sacha Black says:

wow, this was beautiful and sad. I reckon that 6 months is an entire novel… just saying…