The Strangeness of Voice

In 1970 a friend recorded me for the first time on his father’s new-fangled tape machine. It was a sunny afternoon and his father was installing patio doors – odd those memories. As his father introduced me to a new vocabulary that I will forever associate with glazing, Dave introduced me to my voice.

These days it is something I seek in my writing; back then it was something of an embarrassment. I was 12 and I squeaked. Really. These days I’ve dropped a tone or two, though when answering the phone the interrogative ending I use in my Hello (more Helloooo) Β means I am often mistaken for my wife. So it should be less embarrassing to hear my own voice. Hmm, I hope so because blogger and broadcaster Annette Rochelle Aben has had me as a guest on her talk radio show, The Magic Happens. We had a blast but, well, see what you think? I was often told I had the face for radio but, people, do I have the voice?

The Magic Happens (click below on the picture)

the magic happens

This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The Strangeness of Voice

I listened to you yesterday. A fantastic interview Your Geoffleship!!@

2. A great interview, Geoff. And I have to say…the only squeak I heard in your voice was when you questioned whether you were truly an author. You are, for sure, and we are all so happy for that. πŸ’˜ Carry on….

3. Erika Kind says:

The face for radio…. haha… you are too funny, Geoff!!! Will listen to it on the weekend. Congrats to the interview in advance!

4. PHS says:

Reblogged this on Archer's Aim and commented:
    I’ve been a guest on Annette’s show before and found it a wonderful conversation and less of an interview. You’ve done well – and we all get over those squeaky times. Reblogging on Archer’s Aim!

5. gordon759 says:

I am please to say you have the face for radio and a voice for the silent cinema. Seriously though well done.

6. Jeff says:

Nice blog, Geoff. Enjoyed it.

Well done Geoff a star is born!

8. I look forward to having you back on the radio, Geoff! So, keep writing and I shall hold a spot for you. πŸ™‚

9. trifflepudling says:

It kind of sounds like you, but in real life you’re louder! πŸ˜€

10. I got the feeling you were on your very best behaviour Geoff – but it was most enjoyable to listen to your conversation. And I am pleased to announce that your second book will receive a non-writer review soon πŸ™‚

11. Well done, Geoff. Your voice is so good that you’d never get a role on ‘Family Guy’.

12. Sacha Black says:

So cool! See Lucy was right, you should do a podcast!

13. I was there in the background on Friday evening and heard the interview. You answered those questions with ease and were a natural, Geoff. No signs of any nerves. A delightful way to spend 30 minutes on a Friday evening.

14. Al Lane says:

Just caught up with this. Really interesting interview. Here’s to your writing continuing to keep people awake for a long time yet!