Higher, Faster, Stronger #TeamGB #Olympics

To celebrate the day we surpassed the Chinese in the Olympics medal table (accepting it can’t last but still…) and to acknowledge the joy I experienced working for the Olympics in 2012 in London (the pictures are from then), here is a sonnet I wrote

Newham-20120725-00049

Team GB

Improbable arcs, they shape with simple grace,

Higher by far than Herculean gods.

They dive, like salmon, in an old millrace,

Fake scaled, in black, mocking friction and the odds.

Newham-20120807-00102

Four lycra saddlemen of apocalypse,

Impossibly close till they swoop up high,

Hackney-20120804-00077

While a peacock prepares his triptych blitz,

Both men and gravity does he defy.

Newham-20120809-00107

Water, earth and air limit simple men,

But those honed gods are made of sterner stuff.

IMG-20120802-00075 IMG-20120810-00108

After four toiling years, they reach a point when

Their efforts lift the fog, they’ve done enough

To know what has been their goal all along:

To leap higher, go faster, and be strong.

This entry was posted in Olympics, sport and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Higher, Faster, Stronger #TeamGB #Olympics

1. noelleg44 says:

This is magnificent, Geoff. For all Olympians…

2. PorterGirl says:

Fabulous! And the opening ceremony – pure class! Although not as classy as your poem, of course.

A great tribute to our Olympians who are doing so well so far!!

4. esthernewton says:

Brilliant, Geoff and in the great spirit of the Games 🙂

5. Smashing, Geoff. Brings London2012 and those wonderful few weeks, back.

Loved it then love it now!

Love it! I wondered how you were taking in the Olympics given your close proximity to the London games last go. I found US coverage too US focused to I went to the BBC and found it suffers, too. Well, not US focused, but one-country. I thought it appropriate that Fiji won rugby! But they don’t have Olympic cricket, do they?

8. Sacha Black says:

mazing, can’t believe you were that close to bolt!

9. Rowena says:

Great poem, Geoff. I particularly liked this line: “Water, earth and air limit simple men,”. Fantastic. To these limitations, I’ll also add TV, electronics and procrastination.
    I haven’t kept up with the medal rankings and am still basking in day 1 when Australia was at the top.
    We’re currently watching the 50K walk and we’re in the lead going for gold with 5 km to go at 12.20 AM. Got to see the end of this race and yet we have a reasonably early start. Geoff and the lad are off to a scout hike and the lad will be hiking and camping overnight and taking his own food. Miss off to play her violin at the Opera House on Monday night. I think I’m about to clock off for a few months and head to a deserted island.
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    xx Ro