Summer strolls #walking #suffolk

2016-07-22 11.18.11

I enjoyed a few days in Suffolk. The sun shone and Dog insisted on a  walk.

2016-07-22 10.35.06

We looked at the map; he agreed we should go to Halesworth and follow the Blyth river pretty much all the way.

2016-07-22 10.40.41

Which we did. It’s a lovely four miles.

2016-07-22 10.40.18

There are well managed farms, with meadow grasses and cattle; there are straw bales and reed beds.

2016-07-22 11.07.05

There are nettles. Geez are there nettles.

2016-07-22 10.36.54

At one point I thought I was going mad.

2016-07-22 10.49.06

I heard voices. Anxious voices.

2016-07-22 11.04.21

But I couldn’t see anyone. The fields to my left were empty.

2016-07-22 10.49.06

Those across the river to my right equally unmanned and yet somewhere close by two men were debating something with a degree of animation.

2016-07-22 11.12.52

Eventually I spotted them; they were kayakers, battling the enormous reeds in a  vain attempt to row up the river to Halesworth.

2016-07-22 10.48.53

There were butterflies and moths a’plenty.

2016-07-22 10.38.13

There were cows, which, frankly Dog and I could have enjoyed more with the odd fence or two between us.

2016-07-22 11.45.42

But there was no reason to complain and, in all honesty, there can be few better places for a morning stroll than England in the summer.

2016-07-22 11.21.15

The weather is fine and nit life threatening.

2016-07-22 10.59.31

Few things bite you and those that do don’t kill you.

2016-07-22 10.57.26

Access to the countryside is of right and the landowners aren’t likely to kill you. And the distances to the next coffee and cake is always reasonable.

2016-07-22 11.01.15

Maybe that’s why the English can be such smug knowalls…

This entry was posted in suffolk, walking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Summer strolls #walking #suffolk

Great photos Geoffles!

2. Thanks for bringing us along with you and Dog on a most memorable, delightful ‘stroll’ in the English countryside. This is what I love most about England when I visit. The ability to just walk and walk from farm to farm, no boundaries except perhaps a stone wall or two, a pub cropping up every once in a while, and the cows chewing contemplatively. You (and Dog) make me want to come back soon.

3. Miriam says:

Lovely stroll. My Harry would have loved it.

4. Dylan Hearn says:

You came to Suffolk and didn’t say hello?! How very dare you?

5. AJ.Dixon says:

Looks like a great way to spend an afternoon ☺ I’m hoping to do more walking in the future, and your guides make me want to start right now!

6. Mick Canning says:

Splendid place. Thanks, Geoff.

7. restlessjo says:

Might just be so, Geoff 🙂 We do have stuff to be smug about despite the doom and gloom.
    Nothing I like better than a walk by a river. Those cows were looking at you very balefully. Not you so much as your 4-legged friend 😦 Thanks for the company. Have a great ‘rest of Summer’.

8. Rachel M says:

Sounds wonderful!

9. jan says:

It looks like the cows are trying to escape the heat by crowding under the tree.

10. Erika Kind says:

That is such a beautiful area….. and a butterfly 😍 Thank you for sharing this, Geoff!

11. findingnyc says:

Dog seems to have a great plan for a walk, aside from those nettles!

12. Great pics, Geoff. Your nettles pic reminded me of this: https://derrickjknight.com/2012/05/28/nettle-rash/

Thanks Geoff. I enjoyed the stroll, especially the butterflies; the nettles not so much. I would have preferred a fence between us and the cows too!

14. Helen Jones says:

Lovely stroll, Geoff 🙂 I agree, there can hardly be a more pleasant place to stroll than England in the summertime. Great photos, too.

15. Pingback: Jo’s Monday walk : City of Birmingham (24 hours in Brum) | restlessjo

16. LearaWrites says:

I quite enjoyed our little stroll 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

17. Autism Mom says:

After we visited with you last summer we went up north to Edinburgh and we took a bicycle tour. At one point we stopped and my husband, trying to take the perfect picture, stepped into a clump of weedy overgrowth before I could stop him. You see I grew up on the east coast of the US and knew exactly what nettles looked like; but he grew up on the west coast and had no idea – until that day. Fortunately he did not suffer too bad a stinging for his first encounter with nettles.