Just a Thought #ageingdisgracefully

‘…. and then there’s my hip…’

I managed a nod. I tried to add a smile but at best it was rueful, at worst gas-backed. Some of my friends are ageing well both physically and mentally, some one and not the other. But even those who catalogue their accomplishments on road and court with unseemly relish know that, sooner rather than later:

• that the something that gives is not her resistance but your back;
  • that when the light shines from your eyes it is caused not by your ardour but the reflection from the optician’s torch;
  • that the hair you had as a teenager is still there only differently distributed; and
  • that what once caused rapture now leads to rupture.

So, when we meet the conversation slides towards a listing of the aliments, a sort of competitive self diagnosis. And boy can that be tedious.

But help is at hand. A friend of a friend has instigated the

Ten Minute Organ Recital

which gives each participant no more than five minutes to debrief the other on the latest in a possibly long line of physical, mental and emotional misfortunes that has befallen them since the last meeting and, once the time is up, the music stops and the conversation moves on.

I think this is very sound, which is more than can be said for my spleen which, you know, has been making this chunking noise, a bit like the big end on my first car…

This entry was posted in age, humour, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Just a Thought #ageingdisgracefully

1. Allie P. says:

Hilarious. The ten minute recital is a good guideline.

2. floridaborne says:

LOL!!!! Good one!

3. Eileen says:

Wonderful!! A friend and I created a scripture for those of us lining up for new parts: Monday is the day the Lord hath made for whining. However, it is a movable feast. If you don’t whine on Monday, you may whine on one other day that week.

4. LOL. Like it. As Hubby says, it takes him all night to do what he used to do all night. I have no idea what he’s talking about. ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. trifflepudling says:

Totally agree! Especially not welcome at the dinner table, and that goes for in depth descriptions of various procedures also!
    At the first house we bought, there was a nice little sheltered bit under the streetlight outside where locals would gather for a bit of conversation after the pub shut. A typical example of this, drifting into your brain just as you were going to sleep, would be: “Course, you know old so-and-so?”, “Oh yars”. “Well ee went into the ‘ospital – he ain’t never come out”. Or “Of course, they took it all away, yer know. He ain’t never bin the same since”.

6. Rapture to rupture. Perfect. โ˜บ

7. jan says:

lol -10 minutes of organ recital sounds like a long time! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Ali Isaac says:

Haha! That’s a great idea! It is a source of disgusted fascination to us, watching our own bodies degenerate as we get older, isn’t it?

Ten minutes! Oh, I don’t think I could sit through it for that long! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ha! Just so you know, my eyes are fussing and I might have ruptured something in my thimb scrolling through… ๐Ÿ™‚