Nearly, not quite #competition #flash fiction

Esther Newton ran a flash fiction competition for 100 word flash on any topic. I entered two, one receiving a highly commended (the place after third spot and, in my dad’s eyes who didn’t believe in overpraising – there was a winner and also-rans in his book – sort of third loser!) and a commended and since I’m sure you’d like to see them I’ve set them out below.

The winners can be found here. They are worthy of the accolades that will be showered upon them.

The Boy who lost his Shadow

I’ve been cold, for a while; I thought the sun might warm me up. But when I stepped into the light I noticed something was off. And then it hit me: no shadow. They said it would be OK and the pain would stop, which it did only mum still cried until dad cracked a stupid joke. I think they’re tears of relief now I’m better, out of danger. Maybe the operation made me photosensitive so my shadow’s gone. I wish mum would hold me though, not just look at me like I’m not there.

Know your enemy

The Thrag believe all music is the most heinous insult. To sing to a Thrag is to tell him his genitals are made of decaying yoghurt. When Rolling in the Deep beamed across the galaxy turning the industrious Thrag into a jelly of fury, retribution was inevitable. The most deadly committed warriors left for Earth, determined to avenge their ancestors.
The Fleet Admiral readied his forces and gave them the command: Attack!
Cannons blazing they fell on their prey.
Sadly through a miscalculation of scale, the entire army was wiped out when Foos, a Cockapoo scratched at a persistent flea.

This entry was posted in competition, flash fiction and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Nearly, not quite #competition #flash fiction

1. Mary Smith says:

Well done on ‘nearly, not quite’.

2. Al Lane says:

To get that close may feel slightly frustrating, but it’s all on individual preferences when you’re on that level. Loved both of these. Keep it up!

3. Pingback: The Happiness Tag – Allie Potts Writes

4. Allie P. says:

At least you tried. Better luck next time.

By the way, I tagged you in a game of happiness tag (http://alliepottswrites.com/2016/07/07/the-happiness-tag/). Really it was your own fault. By posting that youtube clip along with your brilliant piece of writing on human needs, I had to nominate you. But don’t feel at all pressured to participate if this isn’t the sort of game for you. In fact, please feel free to rebel against these blogging chains altogether. Rise up and lead the rebellion! We are counting on you.

Or share the fun. It’s up to you.

Yes, I must man the barricades, wave my tricolour and generally break free of these tyrannous blogging chains! Marchons, Marchons!! Happiness will be defeated and sent packing. Let Gloom take us by the hand and… Time for bed I think. I need to lie down

5. I love them both. Your a winner in my eyes. I love the subtle sadness of the first & the miscalculation consent of the second – hilarious.

6. Helen Jones says:

well done, Geoff! I liked both stories – the one about the boy losing his shadow gave me chills.

7. LOL, you gotta love a flea scratching cockapoo. Or a kakapo enamored of a human photographer. Hugs!

8. Well done, Geoff, and well done on the recent short story (Treasure) success as well.
    I do need to participate in more short story and flash fiction competitions. Once the editing is finished, I’ll be on it.

9. Oh, I say!
    (Signed G. Maskell)

10. Sacha Black says:

Wow Geoff loved the boy with no shadow that one has legs – think it could be expanded 💖