Stranger Than Fiction #shortstory #flashfiction

Professor Nodrog El Drap, Emeritus Chair of Narco-Selfimaging at Oxford removed the simple headskin. He felt tired and had the beginnings of a migraine, a not unusual occurrence for a dream analyst and especially so, given the subject’s dreams he was reviewing. Adnil Senoj, the first serial killer to murder entirely using light and thought had had her dreams withdrawn as a preliminary to her trial. Nodrog’s task, and one only a handful of people were trained to survive was to enter the dreams and catalogue them, extracting both meaning and intention from the coded interfaces that underlay repose-rewinding. However, the intensity of the emotions he had to experience meant he needed to compartmentalise his own subconscious to ensure he didn’t acquire assimilated aspirations which a less strong minded analyst might experience. Everyone undertaking the sort of work on which Nodrog was engaged had to have a coping mechanism, a way of distracting himself as he allowed the third party’s dreams to suffuse his conscious mind. Trial and error had proved that being bored, reducing the emotional cortex to a sub-catatonic state was best. Nodrog had found Adnil’s dreams stretching his usual tools of inducing mind numbness. He needed something stronger so headed for the library to seek out a more extreme unstimulus. The librarian pointed to a shelf with locked wire doors on the front. Solemnly he took a key and freed the strong chains. At the end of the row, he pulled out a slim volume, averting his eyes as he did so.

‘Try this professor. Careful though. It’s thought any more than 10 pages at a sitting and you may never wake.’

Nodrog held the book lightly as if he wanted to touch it as little as possible. He had heard about this work, of which there were only three copies, all held precisely for the purposes of such criminal analysis. Slowly he lifted his eyes to the title and read it

Jeremy Corbyn: My role in Brexit

Nodrog shuddered. This was going to be rough.

This was written in response to Esther Newton’s weekly writing challenge.

This entry was posted in flash fiction, miscellany, prompt, short story, writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Stranger Than Fiction #shortstory #flashfiction

1. I trust The Archaeologist enjoys this one. If not, there’s Llareggub you can do about it now

Brilliant! 😂😂

3. LOLOL LOVE IT! 😄😄😄

4. Al Lane says:

I lol’d… Great punchline!

5. M. L. Kappa says:

Love the humour but am in awe of your imagination (I’m also reading your book at the moment)

6. gordon759 says:

Nodrog El Drap compliments you, but would point out that our father considered that his paper ‘The Medieval Sundials of Dorset’, was the most boring thing he had ever written.

7. Brilliant. If only the real news were so unexciting lately. Not as your story. I don’t mean your story is unexciting. It isn’t, because it’s very funny and well-written. I meant if only the real news were as unexciting as the book in your story. Or this comment. This comment is fairly unexciting, wouldn’t you agree?

I think your comment will go down as one of the most inspired examples of thoroughly crafted dullness since comments were allowed to roam free and make their homes anywhere there was a sufficient supply of talcum powder and doritis.

• Wow, Geoff. I’m touched – in so many different ways. I’d like to thank my primary school teacher, whose name escapes me now, and some other guys, and more people too. Oh, and I’d like to thank you as well, for putting me in a position to thank you. My next Dullathon will be a political campaign speech made out of talc, water, and the back page advertisements from Bank Regulation Monthly.

Wow where do I vote? Is it one of those voting booths that flush?

• No, they tick, here. Don’t yours?

Must be a new sort. They tried ones where you had to put your X in a box but too many people thought that was their ex in a box and the disinterment costs were too high. So they now just flush democracy away…

8. Re. Nodrog’s comment about boring things above, the most boring-SOUNDING book I have ever seen was called “A Life in Portland Cement”. Of course it might have been fascinating, but I’ll never know …

9. Ah ha ha ha …… oh dear, sigh! VG.

10. This is fantastic! 😀