Salisbury Square #novel #cover

A short while ago I set out a selection of possible covers for my latest book and asked you to vote. Lots of you did and many said nice things. Mostly however you thought that the gritty subject matter was not reflected in any of the covers and some were too busy and others rather fantastical or more worth of a scifi text. So me and the design guru want and had a ponder. If you’ve forgotten what the books about, here’s the blurb

Jerzy Komaza is adept at turning a blind eye. He has allowed his father’s assaults on his sister, Maria, to continue for years. Yet one hot summer day he finally snaps, and it is Maria who sends him away, fearing the consequences if he stays. Desperate and unsure, Jerzy heads for London where his old friend Jan has promised him work.

At first he is completely disorientated. Worse, there’s no sign of Jan. Feeling lost and adrift, Jerzy overhears a young woman’s cries. Memories of his sister stir him into action and he intervenes.

The woman is Suzie Thomas, a meth addict dependent on local thug Paul Rogers for her supplies and for whom she turns tricks. Rogers also runs gangs of workmen around the city, and Jan works for him. Gradually Jerzy is dragged into Suzie’s world, a violent dog-eat-dog existence of the underclass living next to but apart from London’s affluent citizens.

Jan has his own problems with Rogers, and when his cousin Ola Nowak is slashed with a knife, trying to sort out Jan’s debt, he is bent on revenge. Jerzy is torn between stopping Jan and, because of his own growing hatred of Rogers’ casual violence towards Suzie, helping him.

Suzie’s family are hunting for her. Her grandparents hear she has moved back to London and seek her out. In doing so they too find themselves pulled into Rogers’ orbit. As the heat builds and the rain pours down, various forces begin to drag these desperate individuals together into a violent confrontation. And into this mix comes Lech Komoza, Jerzy’s half-brother intent on his own revenge.

This story contains elements of revenge, love, the clash of classes and cultures, the isolation of large cities and the single minded determination to survive. Set against a backdrop of one of the most affluent cities in the Western world, it is a modern parable about the lure of redemption and how hope can be corrupted by despair.

And here’s what we’ve come up with…

Salisbury Square 2 the obelisk

Better? Queries? Thoughts? All welcome

This entry was posted in Books, cover reveal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Salisbury Square #novel #cover

1. Allie P. says:

I LOVE this cover. Nice job.

2. Rosie Amber says:

Yep LOADS better, very dark and mysterious. Has me wanting to know more about the man and his story.

3. Helen Jones says:

Oh yes, so much better! Really captures the essence of the story now, I think 🙂

4. More intense. Much better, I think. ☺

5. I didnt read your prelude, but now i want to. I like it

6. noelleg44 says:

I like this cover but find the building behind the obelisk somewhat diverting. I want my eyes on the arch and the figure. Could the building be made more obscure? Just a thought – otherwise great!

7. Didn’t see the previous but that looks great Geoff. Like the way the title and author name don’t distract from the image. Good one.

8. Annika Perry says:

I like this a lot; gritty, sinister and it works well with the swirling mist. Also interesting and unusual placing of title and name – it works a treat. Well done. Who is your designer?

9. Lata Sunil says:

I liked the cover. But your name is not clearly visible.

Love it Geoffles!

11. Judy Martin says:

I like this one MUCH better Geoff. It seems darker and more mysterious! 🙂

12. jan says:

I think this new cover really does portray the way I felt reading your WIP. Good job.

13. Much, much more in tune with the story. I rather like it! 🙂

Definitely like it Geoff. Very dark and moody though I did like the first one too!

15. Ula says:

I saw this image on my wall on Facebook and I immediately stopped to read. This is so much better. Reflects the story better as well. I like the text and how your name is placed. Great job!

16. Love the cover Geoff, it gets my vote.

17. Sacha Black says:

Frankly my dear, this is the best fucking cover EVER. I LOVE IT.

18. Sacha Black says:

My only issue is that the cover doesn’t have the correct name… GEOFFLE

19. This gives the books a really gritty dark feel, Geoff. I think you are onto a winner with this cover given what the story is about. Thumbs up from me. Far better than the other cover designs you presented to us a few weeks ago.

20. Mick Canning says:

that looks more like it.

21. The story sounds nicely complicated, Geoff. I like complex. But that can make it really difficult to design a cover. I think this one hits the spot. Well done.
    By the way, I loved “As the heat builds and the rain pours down,” Mega hugs.

Much better. Love it. Dark. Moody. Mysterious. Love the placement of the title and the author’s name. Well done. What a difference a cover makes!

23. Much better, Geoff, though personally I’d be inclined to have your name across the bottom (maybe I should rephrase that…)