Spag Bog #shortstory

This is a short story from a recent prompt (see below for details). It is based on fact; I wonder who will be the first to identify the source. You may notice some similarities to a different short I wrote recently. All I can say is, I’m having treatment.

Amelia Jones pulled open the front door.
‘Mrs Jones?’
‘Yes?’
‘Johnson. Plumber.’
‘Oh yes.’ Amelia wiped her hands on a cloth. ‘The toilet won’t flush away properly. Do you mind if I leave you to it? The bathroom is up there, second on the left. I’m rather busy.’
‘Smells great. Having a party?’
‘Sort of. I’ve just had my first book published. We’re having a literary supper. Spag Bog for forty.’
‘You make me very envious. I’ll let you get on.’
‘Call if you need me?’
‘Mrs Jones, I need to check the outside. Won’t be long.’
Amelia opened the door. Mr Johnson had gone deathly pale. ‘Are you alright?’
‘Not really. Can I use your phone? I need to call the police.’
‘The police?’
‘The blockage. It’s the mains. They’re full of, erm, bits.’
‘Bits?’
‘Arms, hands, body parts.’
‘Oh goodness.’
Inspector Milder sat heavily. ‘Thank you, Mrs Jones. I won’t waste your time. It’s about the awful situation next door.’
‘The murders. Yes, appalling.’
‘As you may know your neighbour drowned several young men and, erm, flushed them away.’
‘It’s no wonder the drains were blocked, inspector. He must have been desperate.’
‘In a way he was unlucky. He had been using the drains for a while. It wasn’t the body parts that blocked the drain but they did get caught up.’
Amelia frowned. ‘Did he chop them up. They’d be too big, you’d think.’
‘The accused says he boiled the body parts first before disposal.’
‘Oh how awful. But I don’t see what that has to do with me?’
‘He used a large pan. A very large pan. He said he lent it to you. For a spag bog, he said. Mrs Jones. Are you alright? Are you…? Sergeant get a bucket.’

This is my response to a prompt from the Microcosms prompt, here. You use the chosen character, item and genre and stick to the word limit. in this case it was: Plumber; Bath; Horror and 300 words (this is 298)

This entry was posted in prompt, short story and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Spag Bog #shortstory

1. Ruth says:

Oooh, great story Geoff – love it! 🙂

2. LOL. Thanks for the rainy Thursday giggle & snort. Great one Geoff. I knew you were going to tie the crime to her somehow, but wasn’t expecting the pan. 😀 Fun story. Mega hugs.

3. GP Cox says:

OMG, I can’t imagine!! You say this is partly based on fact? Funny too.

4. gordon759 says:

Not only do I remember the source, but recently when Scotland Yard arranged for an exhibition of some of the items from its ‘Black Museum’, it decided that it would not show the pan concerned as relations of the people murdered were still alive and could find it distressing ( as indeed might people who ate the infamous Spag Bog).

5. Spag bog. Have a recipe ??? ☺☺

6. Erika Kind says:

You surprise me over and over again. When I think I know the twist, you come up with a different or another one….!!!

7. Oh dear. Remind me to wash the cake tins I borrowed from next door. 😃

8. Oh how terrific! Glad I haven’t got a big pot now!!

So between yesterday and today, WP decided I was to unfollow you!
    But no, I will not allow that, so I am back, and I see you have not been eating the Malteasers that I prescribed yet!
    Seriously Geoffles, where does your mind go??!!!

10. Bleh. Bleh. Bleh.
    I made some lovely asparagus tips for supper. I wonder if the neighbor would like them. I can’t eat them now. 0_O O_o

11. noelleg44 says:

Yech, but this made me LOL! Great!

12. Judy Martin says:

YUCK! I was never that keen on spag bol anyway! 🙂

13. Geoff!! Now I need a bucket too! Haven’t even had my breakfast yet and I feel like bringing something up, ugh…

14. jan says:

OMG. No wonder the plumbers get the big $$$$.

Oh no! I’ll never eat spag bog again!