Happy? Moi? #happiness

2016-06-16 21.55.34-1

I’m generally a happy cove, trying to see the bright side in things. I’m not sure I’m a half full guy, either preferring a completely full approach to things. I mean if you’ve got a bottle then fill it; no half measures.

I’ve also weaned myself off awards and stuff on this blog. All sorts of reasons. And I’m not changing. Nope this is the exception that proves the rule, in the sense of the exception tests the rule not in the sense that it shows that a general rule exists… what am I on about? Not sure. Being happy? Yes!!

So then Ritu at But I Smile Anyway puts me up for a Happiness Tag cos I make her smile. Now that is so nice. I had to go along with it, didn’t I?

Well tags, awards whatevers mean you have to say stuff, in this case 5 things that make you happy and 5 songs that make you happy. So what do we have? I wonder what these say about me?

Five things to make me happy

• cake, not chocolate cake – is that sacrilege? Chocolate in cake is chocolate wasted in my book.
  • train journeys – not commuting though. That is the travel equivalent of a prostate exam.
  • successfully completing a DIY job – I have had so many disasters that the euphoria I experienced recently when I fixed the toilet flush was up there with a girl (any girl in truth – we are going back a ways) saying yes to a date and me passing my A levels that enabled me to leave home and go to Uni.
  • pressing ‘publish’. That was batshit scary but when it was done did it feel GOOOOOOOOD!
  • being me, being alive; frankly everyday is a Saturday full of possibilities and an opportunity to spend time filling my head with more memories

Five songs (cheese warning): in selecting these there is no question that the quality is rubbish but I smile when they come on the radio, ipod, etc

• If You Leave Me Now by Chicago – always associated in my head with my first date with the Textiliste

• Goodbye to Love by the Carpenters – my first band crush

• Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple: the first concert I went to – tinnitus for a week but worth it

• Little Boxes by Pete Seager – don’t ask, but it takes me back to the 60s and my dad moaning at ‘modern music’ yet singing along to this

• Coldplay – anything really. She loves them, we love them and Dog is named after an album.

2016-06-16 19.32.26

We were lucky enough to go to their recent concert at Wembley and here are a couple of clips I took as I danced along in the stands.

Before I get to that though the tag suggests you name five bloggers who make you smile. Difficult in that a lot do. The best I can do is to say I follow you guys for a reason so I’m not limiting myself. You all make me smile in your many different ways and if you’d like to be happy and tell us then please do so.

This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Happy? Moi? #happiness

1. Happiness is so relative though, isn’t it? To the homeless person on the street, it could be enough money in their hat to buy a decent sandwich – or whatever.
    To others, as with some of your examples, it could be achieving something challenging.
    It can also be just enjoying being alive in the company of loved ones.
    Very Maslow I think.
    You’ve been writing about your father. Mine used to say he was content. Not happy, but content. I suspect he thought happiness was an emotion too far. Or maybe he wasn’t happy. Perhaps we all define things differently anyway.

2. Sacha Black says:

I feel sick. I need to be grumpy and negative now. :p

3. Erika Kind says:

Just listening to The Carpenters…. oh how I love them…. cannot be cheesy enough… haha! You saw Coldplay! Awesome!
    Happy Wednesday, Geoffle!

4. jan says:

I’m embarrassed to admit the first concert I went to was Chad and Jeremy. (and I snuck in!)

I’m so glad you took part Geoffles! I feel honoured you brushed aside your ‘no awards/tags’ policy for me! πŸ˜™
    I love your happy reasons and you’re cheesy songs… right up my alley! !!
    Off to feel even happier now! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

6. gordon759 says:

I am glad you understand about exceptions proving rules.
    I personally find the best way of looking at life is that, not only is the glass half full, but the rest of the contents must be around here somewhere.

7. Anabel Marsh says:

So far, so good – and then you got to Coldplay! Never mind, it could have been worse. Bono. Or Sting. Not that I’m prejudiced or anything.

I still love the Carpenters but they were roundly ridiculed by all boys of my acquaintance, up to and including the husband, so it’s nice to hear of a man liking them.

8. Nice post. I met my Mr. during the Chicago era…but I have a (not so secret) crush on Chris Martin. ☺☺

That’s a fitting tag, Geoff. You do like to share the smiles around. I like your glass completely full outlook. More of us should try that! I like your taste in music, even if it is cheesy!

10. Annecdotist says:

Well deserved award, Geoff, even for an award-free blog – you made me smile.

11. I’ve been tagged as well. No, not by the Police, but by Ritu. Happiness is one of my names. Don’t like and won’t be negative. Life is too short.
    Piglet? Okay, so I ate all the bacon sandwiches, but does that make me Piglet? I’m thinking more like Heffalumps.

12. Judy Martin says:

I also got tagged by Ritu and Erika and will also be writing a post despite not accepting awards! I do love your taste in music Geoff. Who doesn’t love a bit of cheese and a song to be able to bawl your eyes out too when things go tits up? (oh, is that just me that does that)?!
    I agree with Ritu, that you make people smile, and you definitely deserved being tagged! πŸ™‚

13. trifflepudling says:

I saw on a tv prog that Karen C started out singing much higher but a producer noticed the change in her voice on the lower notes, and the rest is history.
    Mr Blue Sky is the best happy-making song ever for me! Along with Soul-Limbo (cricket) and The Liquidator (Chelsea).
    I agree with Ritu’s nomination!
    Hmm, yes, I can see the attraction of Mr Martin …

Incorrigible! Mr Blue Sky is terrific but it jerks no memories so sadly has to be relegated to also ran status. Didn’t know that about Karen C

• trifflepudling says:

From today’s Guardian “…it felt like Britain thought he could now go back to being just some English bloke and eating chips [when he ‘uncoupled’].
        “It turns out this notion is utterly wrong, because when Martin walks into a room, I am rather startled to find that a stellar quality enters with him. His energy hits you from across the room: the intense stare, the piercing blue eyes, the feet that are usually barefoot nowadays. I understand now why his T-shirts are constantly riding up his chest on stage – his muscles are so big, in the flesh, that his shoulders look like two Tonka trucks battling it out. He lives in LA now – well, the nearby beach town Malibu – and speaks about the Sufi guy he worked with β€œto kind of look at life a bit differently, four years ago, when lots of things were changing in my life”. He talks about gratitude; Viktor Frankl’s theories of finding the meaning in life; Rumi’s poetry. Clearly, this is not a man whose divorce liberated him to sit round watching Soccer AM in his underpants and cursing the existence of Goop.”
        Put me off a bit, actually!

Hehe not sure why I’m laughing

14. As someone who once blogged about having Excerpt From a Teenage Opera as a Desert Island Disc, I’m certainly not in a position to judge about your musical happiness, Geoff. As chance would have it, this evening my partner was bemoaning the fact that she’d missed out on going to see Coldplay. But that only prompted me to reflect that I was disappointed we hadn’t seen Neil Sedaka when he toured last year. It’s good to get these things out in the open, isn’t it? Isn’t it?

15. Rowena says:

Geoff, a great post and I’m enjoying the comments too and thinking about what makes happiness and what it means to be content. I quite like the term “content”. Sometimes “happy” can seem a bit twee whereas “content” has more depth. Is a tree with deep, substantial roots and not easily blown over in a storm.
    I relate to so many characters from Winnie The Pooh…I can be a “bear of little brain”, a bit gloomy and reflective like Eeyore and also upbeat like Tigger and Piglet. Just depends which way the wind is blowing.

I like your cheesey music it is not dissimilar to mine! I am annoyed that I have missed all these great posts but very happy to be catching up ! I love cake too but not chocolate cake it is just as you say wrong! πŸ™‚