Vintage aka Old #photo #hugh’sphotoprompt

I’ve not posted a piccy recently in response to Hugh’s prompt but ‘Vintage‘ had me scurrying to the loft

2016-06-05 20.44.29

My Great Grandmother’s bonnet. That makes it Victorian sometime I believe. But then again it might be Edwardian. I wish I’d written it down. Here’s a picture of my great grandmother.97060013

The trouble is which one? Is the bonnet owner? Here’s some more from the same box – it is delicately beaded though how it fitted is beyond me.

2016-06-05 20.44.46

And here’s a family grouping

97060025

But is it the same part of the family?

Only one person will tell me. The Archaeologist… Help!

This entry was posted in photo challenge, prompt and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Vintage aka Old #photo #hugh’sphotoprompt

What a great item to have… and the photos to match!

2. Wonderful old photos. A treasure for sure. What a dilemma you have. Can’t help you. Sorry
    ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚

I can’t help either but I know of a man who can!

4. jan says:

Well, I doubt if that’s a throng!

5. Miriam says:

Wonderful priceless photos. As for the black beaded item, that’s a mystery. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. M. L. Kappa says:

I also have the same problem – old photos with unidentifiable people in them. I wish I’d sat down with my mother and grandmother and made notes before they died…

7. Ali Isaac says:

Love old family photos like that, but you need to put them in context with who they were. We are taught about world history but never taught about our own family origins, which is so sad. As if the very roots we come from are so unimportant. I wonder why that is. Hope the A. Can help!

8. I love the delightful family photos, Geoff. What great items to have stored away. Maybe we can help with the mystery when we are there with you on Friday evening? Otherwise, a trip to The Antiques Roadshow may be called for. I’ve been twice, but only featured in the background.

9. Wow! What an heirloom! My family is TERRIBLE at keeping old things, so I don’t have anything going back earlier than my grandparents. It’s awesome that you have this even if you are unsure of how it is to be worn. Have a good day!

Visiting from Hugh’s page…
    Ericka from A Quiet Girlโ€™s Musingsโ€ฆ

10. gordon759 says:

As far as I am aware the beadwork item was worn about the neck and tucked into a jacket to suggest that the blouse underneath was heavily beaded. The hat is, I believe late Victorian. They belonged to Great grandmother Bolton, gran’s mum.

11. Rowena says:

The archaeologist saves the day! I am a real family history addict. Love all the detective work involved, even though it’s incredibly frustrating. I just keep exchanging finds for fresh questions. I particularly love searching through the old newspapers online and I found a reference to a young 14 year old with the same name as my great grandfather under the heading “Bad Start”. He had stolen handfuls of coins from a swimming pool and sentence to two month’s gaol…his second offense. It has reminded me that you have to be prepared to deal with whatever you dig up. I now need to work out how to check this out.
    By the way, when it comes to identifying old photos, sometimes the studio is named and you can research the history of the studio, which might at least date the photo.
    Lastly, while reading updates on the storm, I found out we had an earthquake off the coast today. Missed that one.
    Anyway, hope you’re having a great week!
    xx Rowena

12. Rowena says:

Not sure quite how to respond to the incest in the family. I clicked like to acknowledge I’d read your comment and now it looks like a condone incest, which of course, I don’t.