Picture this #anthology #shortstory

Back in November as some of you will recall I wrote a short story a day, each as near as I could to the daily word count (1667 words) that would accumulate to a successful Nano of 50,ooo in the month. Many of you were kind enough to prompt me.

Well, I am close to publishing them as an anthology under the title

Life in a Grain of Sand

I’ve had help. The Ape (aka Chris Graham) is doing the cover and Santa’s Little Helper (aka Esther Newton) is doing the edit. Both are as attentive and pleasant to work with (well, leaving aside the significant banana bill) as you would expect.

Soooo

Apart for a little heads up that this is coming soon, I need some advice on the cover. I’ve used a picture that was a prompt and Chris has worked the oracle. Please let me know which is your preference. There is an opportunity to vote below. If you have comments don’t be shy.

anthology book cover 2

Cover 1

anthology book cover 1

Cover 2

This entry was posted in cover reveal, miscellany, poll and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Picture this #anthology #shortstory

1. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    Please do the poll on Geoff’s blog and help him decide which cover to use – the dark one (cover 1) or the light one (cover 2) πŸ˜€

2. Sacha Black says:

Love the position and the background but I’m not a huge fan of the font. Just thought I’d add that. The first cover is really bold (in terms of the light/dark) so I like the fact it’s darker as it appears more intense. Cool covers πŸ’–

3. I like the format and the picture, but like the previous commenter, I’m not crazy about the font or the coloring of the lettering. To me, the white letters get lost in the background and make it harder to read. The photo background # 1 !
    @sheilamgood at Cow Pasture Chronicles

4. esthernewton says:

I think you could try a darker colour for the writing – to make it stand out more. With the white, you have to work at what it says. But, like Sacha, I think the first cover works better πŸ™‚

5. esthernewton says:

Reblogged this on esthernewtonblog and commented:
    Please help Geoff decide which cover to use…

6. Ditto re the font.
    The second cover looks more like mud. πŸ˜€

7. Let me begin by saying that the idea of the book (30 NaNoWriMo shorts collected) is brilliant, and the cover concept grabbed me immediately. Now for some feedback: The stark contrast in the photo makes the text in Cover 1 very difficult to read; it almost feels like a nuisance, detracting from the photo. The more muted photo tones in Cover 2 allow the text to be the focus and the photo to hold its rightful place as interesting background. (I voted for Cover 2.) I’m not sure the narrow font does what you want it to: it seems pinched and makes the title appear less substantial (and therefore less important) than the subtitle, which I would think is the opposite of the intended affect. As I said, the cover concept is visually arresting, but a little tweaking could really make it pop. (And congratulations on getting to this stage – it’s so exciting to get the thing out into the world!)

8. I seem to have voted for the favorite. I’m glad to help. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne Joshi

Love the first image… but maybe the font could be a bit bolder 😊 good luck!!

No idea why I like number 1 more than number 2 but I do!

11. Tom Gould says:

They both look pretty much the same and both as nice as each other. So entirely up to you my friend.

12. Lucid Gypsy says:

It seems I’m in the minority, but number two looks classier to me.

13. It’s hard to tell on my laptop screen. They look so similar. I like the first (it seems a bit darker) but agree with most comments that the font color could be a bit darker for contrast.
    P.S. Am SO excited you are putting this anthology together. πŸ™‚

14. Like the photo, but it’s really hard to read the description, and the subtitle could be clearer. I’ve learned the hard way that people hate that. I hope everything goes well!

15. Allie P. says:

I have to agree with a few of the others that the font and font color doesn’t work for me, at least not against the sprawling background image. You could make it look like writing in the sand. Also, there is quite a bit going on in that background image. My eye doesn’t know where to focus and belonging to the lazy person that I am would likely have instructed my brain to move on to the next cover if it hadn’t recognized your name. I believe it would be better if you zoomed on an element like that deeper shoe print in the center, added some blur filtering to the balance, or otherwise eliminated some of the extra detail in the image. Just some thoughts.

16. EDC Writing says:

Really weird this but in a book shop I wouldn’t even pick up the first cover but the second one I would. And as for on-line, I’m sorry but the first cover looks a bit of a mess to my eye so I’d ignore it and move on, it, but the second one I’d take the time to read the words.

17. I prefer the darker cover, as the lighter one looks a bit washed out, especially with the light coloured text.

18. Fascinating reading all the comments isn’t it! Now let me wade in πŸ™‚ I voted for cover 1, but it doesn’t really grab my attention. I’d like to see the colour gradation reversed [darker at the bottom, lighter at the top] and I wonder if a pop of grey-blue water would make the cover more appealing generally. I agree about the font/colour being hard to read but I think that is more down to the grey and the white being harder for some eyes to distinguish between. I wonder what blue lettering would do?

Very happy to see those stories come out as an anthology!!

19. I find the white writing not clear enough against the background but cannot think of a better colour to be constructive…
    I love the general concept a lot, though πŸ˜‰

20. I like #1 better than #2, but like others think the font should be a different colour and not as squished laterally.

21. Congratulations on the upcoming book, Geoff.
    I voted for cover one but agree that the font needs to be darker and slightly bolder. I like the footprints, although the dark patches could be mistaken for blood. Maybe that’s what they are meant to be?

22. Helen Jones says:

I’m with Sacha in that I’m not mad about the font, plus I think it needs to be darker – maybe picking up the burgundy colour of the seaweed? I prefer the second cover (which seems to be an unpopular choice – ha!)
    Many congratulations on getting the book together though – how wonderful! πŸ™‚

23. Jennifer speaks eloquently for me as well — I went for 2 for the same reason

24. trifflepudling says:

Is there any way he/she could include that famous shot of Earthrise from the Moon, as this is its surface? Would add more colour and interest for me at any rate. I would pass over both covers, look a bit earnest and not the tone of what I now know to be inside. But if had only this choice, top one.

25. Oh, it’s not the Moon’s surface πŸ˜‚ !!! Duh! Anyhoo, still doesn’t look like the right tone for the contents. Sorry about mistake 😁 . Look forward to publication, tho.