They were called Grimm for a Reason #writephoto #amwriting #flashfiction

Here’s a little fairytale, based on this picture

image

Mabel knew only joy until her seventh birthday. That day her father appeared, ill at ease. ‘Understand I meant well,’ was all he said before he left.

In no time hard faced men took over the land and where once Mabel saw horizons and hope she soon saw walls and despair.

‘Understand this,’ said Madam. ‘Every time you think beyond these walls one of your family dies. And if you try to escape your father dies.’
Mabel believed Madam. What else could she do? But her nature was to hope; she could not suppress it. There had to be a way.
Overtime, she understood the game, how to appear compliant. Madam let her roam within the walls. One day she pulled back a branch and gasped. Beyond the trees stood her old home. It seemed so close she could touch it. The turrets and towers, the beautiful aspect.
She ran, frightened she would be seen.
It was a drug. Time and again she returned to stare, to dream. All she had to do was push through the undergrowth and run.
But what if she did? Would they kill her family?
Finally she could stand it no longer. Madam accused her of dreaming and she exploded, throwing her to the ground. She had to leave.
She ran for the bush and yanked the branch away. She stepped beyond and reached ahead, ready to run.

Her hand jarred against a hard surface. Panicked she pushed but the image stayed, hard and flat.
Mabel realised she had been tricked. This was no view, no vista. It was a mural, a mirage. Mad now, Mabel tore at the painting. As it came away it revealed a set of bars through which she saw her father and family, gaunt, dirty and desolate. Behind her Madam’s laughter and the clash of steel on steel filled her ears.

This story is part of Sue Vincent’s #writephoto challenge here

This entry was posted in challenge, flash fiction, miscellany, photo challenge, short story and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to They were called Grimm for a Reason #writephoto #amwriting #flashfiction

Oh my I love this! What a dark take Geoffles!!!

2. I don’t know what to say except, is this really the right kind of story for a sunny Monday morning? That is seriously disturbing.

3. Helen Jones says:

Well that’s a little piece of darkness to start the week, Geoff! Nicely done πŸ™‚

4. Fairy tales, can come true, it can happen to you-oo-oo … (music up full)

5. noelleg44 says:

You’re right, very Grimm…and great!

6. Judy Martin says:

Ooooh, that was quite a shocker, Geoff! πŸ™‚

7. Well that ruined my first coffee of the day!

8. Oh! The poor girl… 😦

9. Dark. Mean. Sad. Heartbreaking, but terrific reading. That mural was an unexpected, but fitting surprise. πŸ˜€

10. Eliza Waters says:

Wild story – certainly no fairytale!

11. Dark, dark, dark, Geoff. Not only dark but deep in the world of despair and fear. Certainly a fairytale for older children 21+, but a brilliant piece of work.

12. Ali Isaac says:

Your stories are definitely taking a darker turn these days, Geoff…

Oh horror! I thought it was Sleeping Beauty at first, then it became more like the Truman Show, and then something I would never choose to watch! Darkness indeed.

14. macjam47 says:

Dark but I know it will stick with me. If it keeps me awake tonight, I will put a hex on you. Fabulous reading! I loved the view actually being a mural.

15. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up – through the trees… #writephoto | Sue Vincent – Daily Echo