Z is for the Zoo #atozchallenge

2014-07-08 11.22.48

The end. Really? It’s been a blast, touring round London and highlighting some parts of the city. What have been your highlights? A skyscraper? A strange statue? Some fabulous home? The venue of a daring or dastardly deed?

2014-07-08 11.22.54

Luckily today is a trip to the zoo. I like zoos.

2014-07-08 11.24.23

I sometimes feel I shouldn’t – caged animals and birds, trapped away from their natural environment and all that but the fact is I do.

2014-07-08 12.33.57

I love seeing the different creatures the planet has.

2014-07-08 12.10.11

I buy into the idea that good zoos run educational and breeding programmes that enhance the chances of survival for some species.

2014-07-08 12.10.13

Indeed some species only survive because of zoos – the Okapi for instance.

2014-07-08 12.42.37

London zoo, set to the north of Regent’s Park is one such ‘good’ zoo.

2014-07-08 12.28.40

It has a long and worthy history; it seeks to work with other zoos to maximise the benefits that zoos can bring and it entertains and informs.

2014-07-08 12.33.47

Would I prefer a world where such benefits were wholly unnecessary?

rachael tortoise

Yes. But I’d like world peace and equality and all sorts that are a ways off so I’ll make do in the  meantime.

And if you aren’t put off zoos generally then do visit, because these guys work hard to ensure they are relevant in the 21st century. So on that philosophical note I’ll sign off and leave you with me and my doppelgänger…

me tortoise

This is part of the 2016 A to Z Blogging challenge. Please click here to find your way to other participants.

A2Z-BADGE 2016-smaller_zpslstazvib

This entry was posted in A to Z blogging challenge, challenge, London, miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Z is for the Zoo #atozchallenge

1. M. L. Kappa says:

I liked all the posts but I still think my favorite was U for utilities! I thought it was fascinating – and original

2. Anabel Marsh says:

Congratulations on completing the A to Z! I’ve learned a lot about London.

3. eschudel says:

This was a great series – I am going to go back and read them all again!! Glad you were part of the Challenge! 🙂

4. Judy Martin says:

Well done for finishing the challenge Geoff, and with such a lovely post too! My Favourite was O is for Oddballs where you featured some street art.
    I also enjoyed your collaboration with Hugh on Q is for Queer as Folk!

5. I agree with everything you said here! This whole series should be made into a coffee table book!!

6. Ali Isaac says:

I have very mixed feelings about zoos. There is a really good one half a mile from my house in uk. Does lots of good eco stuff. Most of the animals are not in cages or enclosures, and you can wander amongst them. They all seem very relaxed and content. Some are quite interactive. There are some dangerous ones which are kept in enclosures, like lions for example. They have to work for their food, to replace their hunting instincts, and it’s fascinating to watch. Generally, I hate wild animals being caged though, but as you say, some zoos do really excellent work. The rest should be closed down. And don’t get me started on the circus…

7. trifflepudling says:

Arrivederci, London! Enjoyed it all, can’t decide on favourite. You must’ve spent many painstaking hours on the photos 😜, well worth it!

8. lindahuber says:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your a-z – thank you! You could think about taking requests for next year’s venue… 🙂

9. Al Lane says:

This has been one of my favourite A to Z blogs… great work throughout the month!

10. Lata Sunil says:

I loved all your posts.. it was good to discover many aspects of London.

I enjoyed my visit to London Zoo. I saw some animals I hadn’t seen “in the flesh” before: the toucan and anteater come to mind immediately. I always thought the toucan was a larger bird. I especially enjoyed the bug display. I found it fascinating. And the cuckoo clock towards the front of it (I think) had me engrossed.
    I can’t but help feeling sorry for the animals in cages. I’d hate to be caged in myself with lots of other creatures gawking at me. Like you, I am a bit ambivalent about their value.
    Oh, and I saw chameleons – they are amazing!
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

12. roweeee says:

Congratulations on finishing the challenge, Geoff and I’m enjoying your tour of London. I fully intend to catch up on the posts I’ve missed. I wonder how many participants used zoo for their “Z” ?
    xx Ro

Don’t know how I missed this! Love London Zoo! And you’ve don’t it! A – Z completed! !!

14. Liz Brownlee says:

Hello! Congratulations at getting to the end. I was asked to write 23 poems to go on the animal houses at our local city (Bristol) zoo. I can’t go round vey easily though as they don’t allow assistance dogs in! Although we did go round Belfast zoo, where we were welcomed… ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com