Big spaces, small minds

Charli Mills’ Prompt this week considers agrophobia:

April 6, 2016 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a response to an agoraphobic moment. Does your character see the shadows or the light filtering through? This can be used as a character trait or as a moment that causes an anxious reaction. Explore the character’s discomfort — embarrassment, indecision, feeling trapped. The scene can be direct or overheard. Is there a solution when fears are faced?

Mary and Rupert have discovered where Mary’s twin sister lived in Ireland, only she’s dead. However she had a daughter who was given to the Sister’s of Mercy.

Big Skies, Small Minds

‘It’s beautiful, isn’t it? You can imagine the world going on forever.’ Rupert watched the sun sink into the endlessly rolling Atlantic. ‘You ok?’

Mary shivered. ‘How could they?’

Rupert shrugged. ‘Unmarried mothers were just too much, too mind blowing. For them, keeping Katherine’s daughter would have untethered them.’

Mary wanted to scream. ‘She was a baby.’

‘To you. To them, a burden that would sink them like granite on quicksand.’

‘How would Katherine have felt?’  Her mind felt like the sky: endless, untethered. She just couldn’t imagine coping. She kicked the sand. ‘We have to find her.’

‘Yes.’

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany, prompt, writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Big spaces, small minds

Brilliant take Geoffles!

2. M. L. Kappa says:

Question: are you supposed to have the short intro? Because if you hadn’t, I’m not sure it would have been clear what’s going on.

3. Sacha Black says:

Interesting id always thought that the sisters of mercy killed the babies

4. Gulara says:

Powerful! (How do you manage to write this AND A-to-Z?) You are amazing, Geoff!

5. noelleg44 says:

Great take on the prompt. I wonder how many people might find this close to their truth?

6. Annecdotist says:

Powerful stuff, Geoff. Those babies weren’t just a burden of course but the product of ‘sin’.

7. Lisa Reiter says:

It continues to be a great tool using these flashy reveals of Mary and Rupert!

Great flash, Geoff, and sadly, so true of the times. I hope Mary’s niece has not suffered too much at the hands of the Sisters of Mercy. But I fear. I love the way you tied this to the prompt.