Bacon slicers

I won a flash fiction challenge this week. Microcosms. Have a look. You might like to give it a go. Each week a theme is picked – this was rhyming slang – and you can roll a wheel to see what character, genre and location you have been given. The challenge for me was the genre – horror. This is my entry; can you see my rhyming slang? Starting you off china plate = mate. There are two more.

China plate, London, horror

Into the mouth with babes and sucklings

107 words

‘Ironic name for the beast’s lair. The China Plate cafe.’

‘Stop philosophising and give me a rubber band with the bacon slicer.’

‘Christ, it’s a first date. Why not a knife?’

‘This’ll be quicker. We have to feed the beast by midnight.’

‘The letterbox is the mouth, yes?’

‘That’s what the Oracle said. Go grab the babies; they’re in the van.’

‘They’re dead right?’

‘Sure. Now you slice ‘em and I’ll pop them in the slot.’

‘Don’t get too close; or it’ll be like the old joke?’

‘Eh?’

‘Will customers refrain from sitting near the bacon slicer as we’re getting a little behind in our orders.’

‘Ha. Good one.’

This entry was posted in miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Bacon slicers

Very funny! (Though I had to look up some of the slang lol!)

2. AJ.Dixon says:

I like this a lot! 😄 Being a Londoner, *cough* Greater London! *cough*, I am proud to say that I spotted the slang right away! I didn’t require a rubber band from anyone, either! 😉
    Nice work!

3. Eew… Didn’t get the slang, I don’t think. But congrats! 🙂

4. lucciagray says:

Oh dear, I’m no longer a Londoner. Didn’t get enough to get the story😤😥 Will you explain/translate for the foreigners?

5. I couldn’t find translations on-line and am intrigued ………..

6. Ali Isaac says:

Laugh out loud! 😄

7. Ali Isaac says:

Laugh out loud! 😄 And congratulations!

8. davidprosser says:

I got rubber band but missed first date, I’ve not hard that one before.
    Hugs

9. Nice one, Geoff. You met your sausage

10. Sacha Black says:

Lol this is brilliant and horrific! Bravo on the win geoffle very proud

11. I like the idea of a beast being a place, or at least residing in it.

12. Congratulations on the win, Geoff. Now all we need is Chas and Dave to sing us out.
    I didn’t think you did horror. Now I’m worried. 😱