Extracts From a Philosophy – Part Three

And so day three of the three day quote challenge. Up front I was a bit abrupt, rather ya-boo-sucking at the rules. I don’t mean to be churlish and I’m sure there’s no reason why they shouldn’t apply. I’m just not very good at them.

So, anyhoo, here’s day three and thanks again to Marje at Kyrosmajica for fingering me.

In this last section I’ve taken another line from a poem – Dylan Thomas’ Do not go gentle into that good night.

dylan thomas

I don’t intend to go soon or quietly and I want any one who I love or care deeply for to do the same. Thou shall not waste this life, people and thou shall extract from it every drop of juice, every ounce of existence.  I have no belief in any sort of hereafter – this is it, our one shot and in my *coughs* years I’ve realised one thing. Dying is pretty shit, really, unless you’re very old and tired or very ill. But while dying might be rubbish for you it’s a damn sight harder and a lot worse for those you leave behind, bereft. Ok, that’s part of the script, it’s on the side of the tin after 38 grams of sugar and before mono-sodium glutamate. But please don’t inflict your absence on us earlier than you really really have to. Do not give up. And while that applies in skip loads in the case of the Big D it also applies to ambition, hope, love, passion and all the other nuggety bits that make us interesting and fun to be around.

DO NOT GIVE UP

This entry was posted in quotes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Extracts From a Philosophy – Part Three

1. I absolutely love this poem so I was kind of, um, looking at the photo like… *rolls eyes* ‘Geoff is silly-ing THIS poem?!’ Right. Anyway, the post is so touching and I think the photo is positively perfect with the sentiment and writing. (I really like the post…can you tell?) Thanks for sharing this. ❤️

2. The big D keep it at bay and in the meantime make sure you do all that you can to achieve your dreams. Couldn’t agree more…. Glad I fingered you for this challenge Geoff! Sounds a bit dubious … you rule breaker you!

3. jan says:

One of my favorite poems. Yes, I do think Thomas was speaking more about an approach to life than actually dying.

4. merrildsmith says:

Great post, and I agree.

It’s funny that I mentioned Thomas’s poem on someone else’s blog recently.

5. Sacha Black says:

A poem I finally know and love. Really REALLY love this post Geoffle. Agree wholeheartedly. One life. Live it.

6. Allie P. says:

It’s one of my favorite poems too. I believe that there is a continued existence beyond this life much like water turns to mist only to then bounce together with other particles and return as rain, but that doesn’t mean I am in any hurry to find out whether or not I am right or wrong.

7. Just last night we discussed this subject in great depth and this poem was quoted – we have dealt with the suicide of an older friend recently who gave up and it was particularly hard for my daughter. I have many oddball beliefs Geoff – have you noticed any of them? – and I LOVE this poem. I love that Thomas loved his father enough to want him to fight death – I love that it was used in the movie Interstellar as an aphorism for the dying earth……….. I love that the first line calls us to live our life to the full right to the final moment and I agree with all you say about those we love; and I believe that life is a gift, it is sacred and it is what we make it and we have the free will to always choose to make the way we perceive it better! Good One!!

8. The Welsh master would be proud of you

9. Annecdotist says:

Well yes, I’m fond of the poem, but I’m most impressed with that photograph – such as spooky staircase!

Fun photo and sentiment!