Extracts from a philosophy – Part One

Not everyone admires Rudyard Kipling, some berating him for what they see as his jingoism and empirical grandstanding. But to me he was a bloody fine poet who captured the essence of his age. He also brings back sharp memories of my poet father who could recite verse after verse, couplet after couplet – as indeed can the Archaeologist. So when Marje at Kyrosmagica nudged me with another three day three quote challenge I thought I’d start by teasing apart Kipling.

kipling quote 2

I can’t sit still easily. If I do fall asleep and get a crick in the neck making me wonder if I was a pretzel in a previous life. I enjoy sport though as you can see, and am always fully engaged in it, never missing a ball. Here I am filling the unforgiving minute with some important plot development strategies.

His sentiments here, however, do reflect a fundamental part of my own philosophy. It’s one life; the past is gone and fixed, the future fluid and uncertain so all we have, all we might have is today, now, this moment. Waste it not.

Apparently there are ‘rules’ to this challenge. Like who says? Piffle. Sue me.

This entry was posted in quotes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Extracts from a philosophy – Part One

1. noelleg44 says:

That’s the attitude!

2. Great quote (and I’ve always liked that photo). Also, I agree with the ‘rules’ thing (blog awards and so forth).

3. HA!!! You’re sued!! I like your piffle so you’re forgiven. The rules can be annoying maybe we should find a quote about breaking rules for the next challenge that comes our way. Nice quote, Geoff. πŸ™‚

Such a rebel, you!!

5. Enjoy the weekend’s rugby. Sue a lawyer – you are joking πŸ™‚

6. merrildsmith says:

Great photo. It’s like when my husband says he’s going to “read.”
    I agree about the rules. πŸ™‚

A good choice to tease quotes from!

8. roweeee says:

I think you’re lucky you weren’t born in a bygone era or you would definitely been given a one way trip to our stunning shores for your lack of respect for “The Rules”.
    I have never really got into Kipling although I have intended to and have quite a few of his works published throughout time. Geoff quite enjoyed Kipling. His mother read it to him from a leather bound copy, which she’d won as a high school prize. Geoff grew up in country Tasmania and his mother was born in the late 1920s so she would’ve received that book in the middle of WWII. As you could imagine, this book was much treasured. Geoff says he was allowed to take it off the shelf but we don’t think his older siblings were given that privilege. I much write a post about that book!
    Meanwhile, the kids are of at scouts this weekend with the likes of Akela. xx Rowena

Ah Akela, ours was a huge tyrannical woman with the most extraordinary sticky out ears. And Kipling was so often read and recited I can’t imagine any time without his rhymes and rhythms.