For those who want my books… #Iammeanttobepleased

Yesterday I blogged about the recent demand for five free copies of my first book by various august bodies around the UK. Here, if you’ve not seen it. I admit – I was a touch churlish in my response, thinking it rather cheeky to ask a hardly successful author to cough up five copies – which I have to pay for, plus postage to Edinburgh. Some of you kind souls suggested – nicely – that it was actually flattering to be chosen – which I understand. Though actually I haven’t shaken off the feeling I was selected by a random computer at best and a very long pin at worst.

So here’s the exchange today with CreateSpace, who brought me the good news in the first place. You good souls with kind hearts are on the same page as CreateSpace.

I wrote to them, in reply to their announcement I had to cough up

I never knew! I will dispatch five copies to the legal deposit library
tomorrow. Do I need to do any more so far as you are concerned?

I was concerned that in their original letter there was a suggestion, were I not to comply, they might treat me as being as welcome as a fart in a phone box. I just wanted to know if they needed evidence I had sent the books off.

They replied

Hello geoffrey,

Greetings from CreateSpace.

You just have to send the copies. No further action is required on your part.

The Agency is entitled to request complementary copies of works from publishers under the UK Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003. Please see the Agency’s website for further information, http://www.legaldeposit.org.uk/

Congratulations on the Agency’s request for your title.

Β Congratulations! There you have it. I have become the curmudgeon I swore blind I’d never be. Dad, you were right.

And for those of you who have come this far, here’s a link to the first three chapters of the book causing so much fuss…

This entry was posted in writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to For those who want my books… #Iammeanttobepleased

1. Release the inner curmudgeon. Own your curmudgeonliness!

2. Quite so! Be as curmudgeonly as it pleases you to be. In time you will be shown to be correct or – um, not. Personally my money is on requests for the film rights to come rolling in……………

3. jan says:

As they say – there’s no such thing as bad publicity!

See, I said congratulations the first time… 😜

5. Jesska says:

I think I’d keep the proof of postage anyway, just to be sure, even if just the receipt for the stamps…
    And does ‘complementary copies’ refer to the 5 they’ve already requested, or to future requests?

6. Sacha Black says:

Personally this post has far too much positivity for my liking πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ I rather liked the grumble from yesterday πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ hahaha

7. Gulara says:

Ha! Good to know about the legal requirement πŸ˜€ And your post was so funny, Geoff!

8. davidprosser says:

Why is being honoured so expensive? My first book was done with createspace and I had to deposit a copy with the Library of Congress. I changed to LULU after that as it was cheaper and quicker than having books sent from the U.S. But it still wouldn’t be cheap to have 5 copies done for the UK Libraries.
    Hugs

9. gordon759 says:

But think, your magnum opus will now be dwelling in the secret tunnels that burrow under Oxford.

10. Ali Isaac says:

Good on you, Geoff, for taking it on the chin. Personally, I don’t think they’ve caught up with the reality of what being an author in currently climes actually really looks like. They think we’re all rolling in it like JK or Stephen. If only…

Congratulations on the acceptance of your first-spun book, curmudgeon tendencies and your father’s wisdom.

12. Sherri says:

Ahh…so there it is indeed! Congratulations are very much in order Geoff! Not all are accepted it seems…so that’s a good thing, right?