Another Notch in My Authorial Belt #iamanauthor

I receive a lot of email traffic, mostly delightful blog post notifications, some from flesh and blood friends, some to do with that Bash Thingy that’s coming up later this year. A few are book related.

When I launched into self publishing my first book, I heard about a legal requirement going back eons that meant I had to send a copy of my paperback to the British Library. In a way that seemed a small price to pay for immortality so I found the address and complied. There. Done. Tick.

Then, yesterday I received this

Hello Geoffrey,

Greetings, and I hope this email finds you well. Please find below a request for 5 copies of your book entitled ” Dead Flies and Sherry Trifle” title ID  5055196 from the Agency for the United Kingdom Legal Deposit Libraries.

” On behalf of the Legal Deposit Libraries, these being the Bodleian Library Oxford University, The Cambridge University Library, National Library of Scotland, National Library of Wales and Trinity College Dublin and in accordance with the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 or the Irish Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000, as appropriate, I would like to request that the following title above be deposited with ourselves. All items should be deposited to our address at:  Agency for the Legal Deposit Libraries, 161 Causewayside, Edinburgh, EH9 1PH.  Please note that any request for deposit with the British Library will be sent directly by the British Library and is in addition to this request.
 Yours faithfully, Malcolm”

As the publisher of record for your CreateSpace title, you are required to address the Agency’s request. If you do not respond to this request within 28 days , we may share your contact information with the Agency and/or remove your title from Amazon.co.uk distribution.

The Agency is entitled to request complementary copies of works from publishers under the UK Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003. Please see the Agency’s website for further information, http://www.legaldeposit.org.uk/.

I wish you a wonderful day.

………………………………………………………………………..
Did we solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:
………………………………………………………………………..

Best regards,

Elisabeth
CreateSpace Member Services

I love the end. I’ve just be stiffed for five copies of my first book (no doubt five for my second later and so on) plus postage to Edinburgh and Elisabeth at CreateSpace wishes me a wonderful day. Sure Liz, it’s just dandy thanks. And the links? Did we solve your problem? Click here if yes… No, you prannock, you’ve created a problem.

As best I can judge these five depositories have a year from publication to request the copy and, I think, if they don’t, then tough titty. But since CreateSpace and Amazon are prepared to de-list the book if I fail to sort something out and, no doubt trying to battle bureaucracy will take time, then it’s a bit of a Pyrrhic Victory to point out they are some four months late. So off I trudge to the Post Office wondering who next wants a freebie. Immortality is losing a little of its lustre.

But then again, being shafted by Governmental decree has to be some sort of recognition that I am, in fact, a published author. Doesn’t it?

This entry was posted in writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Another Notch in My Authorial Belt #iamanauthor

1. It’s not just a shafting, it’s an official one… price of progress!

I guess it’s a congrats to you in a strange kinda way lol!!

3. What a can of worms! I hope they let them out on loan after all that.

4. ellenbest24 says:

But it is a small price to pay for recognition, I bow before you and pray that one day I will be a recipient of such a letter, because it will mean I am there my dream has arrived. Well done you..

5. Yvonne says:

But think of all the library goers who will now have access to your wonderful words…

6. Helen Jones says:

Oh, I got one of those too last year! It’s a strange mix, pride and irritation, isn’t it? 😆 Actually, can’t remember if I sent my second book to them yet…

7. I wonder if this is karma for those years of lawyering…….. 🙂 But really, congratulations! You have arrived and there is no show without Punch!

8. Literary extortion ?? It might just be worth it. ☺

Damned if you do damned if you don’t!

10. Have to laugh and agree with the other comments. You are forced to have pride in yourself. 😀 😀
    Yes, you pay for it, but now you’re a big deal, a somebody. 🙂

11. Ali Isaac says:

I never did that yet. I should really. Btw even though we are living in the digital age, I suppose they have to be paper copies?

12. What the hell? “I wish you a wonderful day. Did we solve your problem?” 😝 Are they quite serious? I understand it’s some sort of form letter but they can’t have another closing for letters of this nature?! Like “Hope you were having a lovely day before you got this email!” Or “Sorry for the inconvenience but you’re the bees knees!” Did we solve your problem? What problem, you? Geez, Geoff.

Well. You’re in good company. An author. And a damn good one.

At least you had the skills of a lawyer to understand the gobbledygook! Congratulations or commiserations, whichever you prefer. I think it sounds pretty good anyway! 🙂

14. Jesska says:

“Dear CreateSpace,
    Thank you for your kind letter. I have been tripping over these darned books for a couple of years, and now you’ve given me the perfect solution! I’ll post them right away – are you sure you just want 5? I still have heaps under the table and piled up on the stairs, can I offer you an extra 0? Think of the things I could do when 500 identical (if mildly scuffed) books leave my house! I’m sure I’d sleep much better at night if I had space for a bed. You know what? I’ll send you a lorry load! Then my family can move back in with me – what a fantastic idea!
    Thank you so much for solving all my problems, what can I ever do to repay you?
    Joyous regards
    TanGental”

As if authors are not de-valued enough already. But the “did we solve your problem” survey is priceless! Well, nonetheless, cheers, Mr. British Author!

16. Nice to know they personalise their communications…

17. Never could trust a lawyer 🙂

18. Annecdotist says:

Congratulations, Geoff (I think). We had a tour of the Bodleian a couple of years ago and I asked the guide how they were managing to stock the enormous number of self published books and I don’t think she could give me an answer. I think it’s one that has caught out a lot of self published authors and I didn’t know that they communicated with you with such grace.

19. Mick Canning says:

Let’s hope that it stops there!

20. Judy Martin says:

What a bloody nerve…talk about rubbing salt in the wound asking if they have ‘solved your problem!’
    Well, despite that, it does look as though you have ‘arrived’ so congratulations for that Geoff 🙂

21. Pingback: For those who want my books… #Iammeanttobepleased | TanGental

22. Sherri says:

I’m still grinning, wryly, over the ‘Hello Geoffrey’. Did you ever watch Seinfeld? As in ‘Hello….Newman…’, dripping with such sarcasm. I had no idea such a request even existed, so you’ve taught this clueless published-author-to-be something today. I do like to think of it as a good thing for you rthough Geoff, as others here have said…but then again, I just don’t get it… *she says shaking head*…

23. Mary Tang says:

‘complementary copies’ to what, exactly, were they referring to? Or was it a spelling mistake – could they mean ‘complimentary’ and expect to receive five free copies of your book? In any case, I think it was meant as a compliment.