And I would walk 500 years…

2015-12-30 13.07.01

If you have the chance, on a visit to London and want to enjoy, free at the point of entry, a wonderful couple of hours find your way to the Tate Britain. This Art Gallery, which shows off the best of British Art has been adapted for a public benefit that today is one of the best visits in London. And recently the layout has been adapted so you can follow chronologically the development of British Art from the sixteenth century onwards. I love Art Galleries but I’ll be the first to admit to a tendency to tire quickly.

2015-12-30 14.01.21 2015-12-30 13.52.53

World’s turned with Holman Hunt and Millais,

2015-12-30 14.21.49 2015-12-30 14.25.11 2015-12-30 14.27.22

and Waterhouse’s genius

2015-12-30 14.38.21 2015-12-30 14.34.54 2015-12-30 14.33.36

world’s crumbled as Europe shook

2015-12-30 14.39.18

and Spencer imagined the Resurrection in Cobham.

2015-12-30 14.43.57 2015-12-30 14.56.50 2015-12-30 14.46.32

And so to Lowry, and Blake and Hockney

2015-12-30 14.48.16 2015-12-30 14.54.54 2015-12-30 14.47.29 2015-12-30 14.54.24

and Riley and Bacon and Gilbert and George and that sculptor chappie

2015-12-30 14.50.39 2015-12-30 14.51.35

and Emin and oh so many others dragged me to today and a well earned cuppa.

Do go. You’ll love it.

To anyone who can name all the art and their artists, they’ll have my undying admiration and the epithet ‘smart-arse’ forever more used in connection with this blog.

This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to And I would walk 500 years…

1. roweeee says:

I can’t name and attribute all the paintings but does this earn me a few brownie points?
    Waterhouse’s The Lady of Shalott illustrates the following lines from part IV of Tennyson’s ‘The Lady of Shalott’:

And down the river’s dim expanse
    Like some bold seer in a trance,
    Seeing all his own mischance –
    With glassy countenance
    Did she look to Camelot.
    And at the closing of the day
    She loosed the chain, and down she lay;
    The broad stream bore her far away,
    The Lady of Shalott.

It helps when you look up the catalogue and cheat!
    I really loved the paintings. That one was a favourite along with the little girl selling flowers and the woman floating in the water.
    There! I’ve just gone and dashed all my intellectual prowess and it’s back to ignorance for me.
    What more can you expect from a colonial rogue?
    xx Rowena

2. roweeee says:

Another find from the online catalogue: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/marien-star-dancer-t12051
    So quirky yet beautiful!
    xx Ro

3. Judy Martin says:

I am totally ignorant when it comes to art, I did recognise the one by Lowry though at least! I have to say, looking at your photos, there are some beautiful works there. I have to admit to not liking some of the modern stuff such as the ‘Unmade Bed’ and the more abstract paintings.

4. lucciagray says:

I haven’t been to the Tate Britain for a couple of years. Some of my favourite are shown. You’ve reminded me I need to go back!

5. rogershipp says:

I had not seen any of them? Not an art person except for my own little niche.

6. Sacha Black says:

Awesome. I need to make more time for exhibitions

7. gordon759 says:

And you would not be at all surprised to learn that I had no trouble in identifying the artists and in many cases the paintings, until we got to about 1950, after that my knowledge is patchy. Nice series though.

8. trifflepudlng says:

Happy New Year, all! And Happy Writing to you writers!

9. jan says:

Interesting progression of art through the ages.

10. I will confess here on having reached across the rope barrier to stroke the velvet rug at the prow of the boat of the Lady of Shallot – I could not help myself – it looked like real velvet and being of a tactile nature I had to let my hand confirm/affirm what my eyes could not. It was many years ago sir and I was younger then and still impetuous ….. Though Waterhouse belongs still in my top ten of artists…….. I also recall the Turner collection and most oddly a tiny painting of Napoleon contemplating a cockle or some such thing – which had me completely mesmerised. I’ve never seen the painting since or come across a reference to it. Is it still there do you know?

11. Mick Canning says:

I do know quite a few, but feel I should avoid the smart-arse epithet, so I’ll just say that you’ve reminded me it’s time I made another visit to the galleries. Thanks.

My list of things to do in London grows! I enjoyed watching the evolution of art through your photos, too. I recognized Waterhouse!

13. A happy selection, but I know exactly what you mean by tiring