A Sonnet for Halloween

P1050381

Trick or Treat

a poem for Halloween

The box on the step draws them like flies

Little hands, skeletally white, reaching down.

‘It’s rubbishy chocolate,’ says John with a frown.

‘Never mind,’ says his mum, wiping mist dampened eyes

On her sleeve. ‘Mrs Goldstein will have a real treat.

You see. Either candies or fudge, all neatly wrapped.

Though take care or you’re sure to be trapped

In her sticky old web. She’s best in the street

For her tricks.’ The family holds hands as they hurry

Along, filling their pockets with teeth rotting gifts.

The mood won’t stay happy; there’s always a shift

As the cockroaches cackle and dirty rats scurry.

For what do you expect: this is Halloween.

It starts with a smile, and ends with a scream.

This entry was posted in poems, poetry and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A Sonnet for Halloween

1. Much more a Dia de los Muertos photo. Love it. Did you dress up them bones?

2. Ali Isaac says:

Yaaay! You wrote a poem for Halloween! Love it! 😁

3. noelleg44 says:

Great poem for Halloween! I agree with Sarah – the “dolls” could be for the Dia de los Muertos – and very cleverly done!

Great work, Geoff. I haven’t read one of your poems for a while. I love the dolls. Scary! Your final line appeals to me most. Ain’t that the truth!

5. trifflepudling says:

Ooer, creepy and vg! Love the dolls – they are scary and beautifully made at the same time.

6. And there was me thinking you’d never written poetry before!

A creepy piece of writing that sent shivers up my spine. Well done Mr Le Pard. I love the dolls. 🎃

7. Great poem Geoff, and I love the creepy dollies! 🙂

8. Oh my, those dolls are really rather scary! Love the poem, especially the “teeth rotting gifts.” 🙂

They are; my wife is doing a degree and one theme last year was the Day of the Dead and she made these babies… I’m touched you enjoyed the poem. I love the sonnet form; it could have been made for me!

9. Rachel M says:

This is great. My kids are nagging to go trick or treating. Halloween is not really celebrated in NZ so it’s not something we’ve ever done before but I can’t find a way out of it.

Love the poem love the photo….. which one is you??

11. Love this, particularly the ending and those dolls!!