Heritage that’s worth preserving

You how how it is, you follow someone and they follow someone who comments on something and you chase that zephyr of an idea across the blogs, skipping through the ether. That’s how I came across Edward Mooney, the Ruinhunter.

Eddie blogs and photographs. Boy does he photograph. He also posts a weekly picture challenge

Capturing History

You can join in. Please join in.

This is how he describes it.

The plan is quite simple, each Wednesday I will be posting an image of a random site with a heritage connection. Any images sent in will be included in the challenge along with your name and a link to your site. Full credit is given to each participant. The joy of this challenge is that we can all participate and share our images whilst raising the awareness of our own particular History and Heritage. The image can be anything from an old Church or Castle, to a Battlefield or Neolithic tomb, the choices are endless.

I love this capturing of our heritage and I’ve offered up images for next week from a favourite place: the cemetery. In this case the Carlton Old Cemetery in Edinburgh. As Eddie says, the choices are endless and mine, from the 18th and 19th Centuries (which he’s happy to include) show ‘heritage’ is what you want it to be.

2014-08-22 09.05.51

Entering the Old Cemetery

In the week satellite evidence proves what the world feared, namely ISIS have destroyed Palmyra, I feel it behove us to celebrate what we have. These tangible links to our past, those places from which we have come are evidently fragile. Capture them, celebrate them, share them people. Already I’m excited by what I’ve seen via this challenge of Ireland’s stupendous history that is still being rolled back, exposed and understood. The Emerald Isle has zipped up the bucket list, that’s for sure.

So send those snaps in and inspire us to visit places of which we have yet to hear.

This entry was posted in history, photo challenge and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Heritage that’s worth preserving

I really like this idea! It would give me an excuse to go poking about here in northern Idaho! Of course, we hardly have ancient history, but near history works for this western writer!

2. noelleg44 says:

He had one of my photos last week, but I have a few more in the wings. Of course, US historical sites don’t have the hoar and cobwebs you find in Europe and elsewhere!

3. davidprosser says:

If you have mobility and a camera I can’t think of an idea better than this one. Apart from preserving our heritage it might just spur on someone to visit these places in the photographs and develop an interest in our past. That can’t be bad.
    As for Palmyra, I think the news is devastating. I will never understand the fanatics who could do this and say it’s because people venerate these sites. I can also not understand why sites like these , which were threatened were not better protected by the army of Syria or by an International force of some kind requested by Syria. The site was of International importance. Isis will destroy more sites given their success here and will gain more followers on the back of it.
    Hugs

Fabulous idea. I agree that it’s a great way to appreciate and preserve history. Only through our knowledge of history can we learn from previous mistakes. The destruction of Palmyra is a huge mistake. We don’t even need to see as history from the future. We know it now. I do not understand the senseless destruction of culture or humanity. I sure hope a way is found to stop these (I’m lost for a fitting word) very, very soon.

5. What a great idea! I love exploring heritage sites so I’ll certainly be joining in!

6. Ali Isaac says:

I am delighted to see you are a new convert to Irish culture and heritage, Geoffle! Ed does a wonderful job of recording and thus preserving long forgotten sites which are crumbling to nothing as we speak. And his images are gorgeous! This challenge is a great idea. Love your photo!

7. Wow you caught me of guard with the Palmyra incident, I was only looking at it yesterday, such a crime, it beggars belief how people can do things like this. I witnessed a similar event last year when a Castle in Laois was knocked down. The excuse was that it was damaged and therefore unsafe? https://edmooneyphoto.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/kiss-your-heritage-goodbye/
    Really appreciate the plug, it would be great to get as many people as possible envolved, sharing and raising awareness of our many fascinating global heritages. Which I reckon is the only way we can preserve and protect these historical sites from the onslaught of the modern day.
    Thanks Again,

Eddie 🙂

8. Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    Photo Enthusiasts and Graphers – In case you missed this important article (click also on the link to Capturing History) 😀

9. PorterGirl says:

This. Is. BRILLIANT.

10. Great idea. I think I’ll join in. I have a camera and am going on holiday to Adalucia on Tuesday. Should be some good stuff there.

11. Thanks for bringing us this challenge, Geoff. I’ve pressed that follow button and will be joining in. I’ve photographed plenty of old relics in my time and I love exploring them as well.