The Trouble With Adverbs….

One of those writing ‘rules’ that makes me grumble into my vegetable broth and rattle my dentures is ‘kill the adverbs’. It’s the same with their old cousins ‘adjectives’; in the Game of Thrones style of editing where whole families are wiped out in one episode we are encouraged to be ruthless with those describing words – kill them all.

Sure, don’t overdo them but, as with cake, there are few recipes where you can remove sugar and achieve the desired effect. I’m with Marie Antoinette on the need for cake in ones diet. Adverbs and adjectives are not just part of our oral history, the written word needs them.

However…. But…. As a major qualification… If I hear anyone using an adjective as an adverb – ‘the boy did brilliant’ ‘that was awful good’ – I cannot be held responsible for my actions, it will be justified homicide, it will be part of the elocution branch of the Darwin Awards.Β  Philistines. Ignoramuses. Incontinent Invertebrates. Hashtag Heamaphrodites. Scabpicking Scrawlscribes.

Please.

This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Trouble With Adverbs….

1. colinandray says:

Well I don’t got trouble with adverbs, and I ain’t got much against adjectives. My problems is with them who insist on learning me stuff to improve my grammer. I mean, if I’m like just talking to you, I don’t got no use for grammer right?

2. Play nice Geoff πŸ™‚

That incidentally, is one of my pet peeves.

3. I enjoyed that post, Geoff; it was so fun!

4. gordon759 says:

Nice to see you are channelling your inner Haddock.

5. musicwaffle says:

Try teaching grammar to Year 5 and 6 in the south of England. “We was…” and “I done …” are default ways of talking and writing. 😞

6. Ooooh Geoff, I am with you on this one; we NEED adjectives and adverbs Even though I am diabetic, I still like a bit of sugar now and again, even though I know it is naughty! πŸ™‚

7. lucciagray says:

Writers have to make such a huge effort to be consistently and perfectly grammatical for 100,000 words times over. I really pity my editor (and my beta readers πŸ˜‰ ) It’s exhausting! I enjoy giving some of my character an ‘ungrammatical’ voice. It’s such fun!

8. trifflepudling says:

Yes, we need these Ad- things! A ‘speak’ which gets me is pundit speak, e.g. ‘He’s not got a left foot, actually’, then followed often by remarks like ‘But he’s picked up a thigh’, meaning he’s got a thigh injury. Own Goooaaal !

That is so good a blog!! You have done us proud !

10. Sacha Black says:

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA nothing like a jolly good rant hey Geoffle. This made me roar!