Stick or twist – a lesson in acceptance #1000speak @1000speak

I’ve been at the cricket this week. An Ashes Test Match at Lord’s and at lunch on Sunday  England are onto a hiding. A sense of resigned acceptance sits like a fog over the  ground. England don’t know whether to stick or twist.

Unusually I'm still awake

Unusually I’m still awake

My companion is angry.  Angry at their resigned passivity.  We sit at lunch and we have a chunter. We want fight.  We don’t want acceptance of what statistically might be inevitable.

We change the subject to talk about families and work, holidays and hopes. Being a role model.  Wanting to give our children a belief in achieving their goals whatever the odds.

My guest is my cousin’s husband.  They have a 5 year old boy and a little girl.  Six months old. Mine are a lot older but the aspirations remain, don’t they? We don’t want them to be accepting of a statistical inevitability, of assumptions society and ourselves burden them with.

But my companion has been accepting all his life.  He was born blind. All his life he has had to accept that fact.  It is what he is.

But he doesn’t accept it in any passive or limiting sense.  Like being left handed it’s just part of him. He also doesn’t allow for limitations. Not in any sense of stopping him from getting the most out of his life.  He’s grateful for the assistance he is offered – and many good people do offer all the time – but even if assistance wasn’t offered he’d still aim to do his own thing.

He both accepts the status quo and rejects it. He accepts what others think and rejects their assumptions.

It seems to me that the England team could learn something from Craig. He wouldn’t stick if it held him back.   He’d twist if the opportunity was there. And smiles as he does so, as he confounds accepted wisdoms. Not a bad role model for his children, don’t you think?.

Even if we both accept that I’ll be buying the beer today

This post is part for 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion’s July link-up. This month we are focusing on Acceptance. To read more posts, or to add your own, click on the blue button below. To accommodate all time zones, the link-up is open noon BST 21st July.

1000 Voices Speak For Compassion is a blogging initiative started in response to violence and alienation in our world. If you would to be part of a movement for loving change, join our Facebook Group,  like our Facebook Page, or look for our posts on Twitter with the hashtag #1000Speak.

To add a post to the link-up, or to read more posts, click on the blue button below.

This entry was posted in #1000speak, miscellany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Stick or twist – a lesson in acceptance #1000speak @1000speak

1. Dire day today, Geoff. Bully for Craig

He see more than we ever will!!

3. julespaige says:

We are all differently-able. A new word in this world, I think. A spin or twist on taking the negative out of ‘disable’ or ‘disabilities’. We have two family friends with young men now, who grew up differently-able with limitations that our own children did not have. And I think we were able to teach our own children (the youngest now nearing 30) that when we accept people for who they are we get to learn and reap the benefits. Our children were assistants to these boys in our congregational school for several years.

While I don’t know a whole bunch about Cricket, any team sport works best when the teams believe in themselves. It doesn’t matter if they are voted underdogs. Resignation of defeat at the start, well defeats the whole purpose of play.

Best to your team the next time they play 🙂

4. roweeee says:

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! I have been forced against my will into watching the cricket at night and it hasn’t been all bad. I actually enjoy the lunch breaks most where they go into some historical stories. Did you see the tribute they made to Richie Benaud? Or was that just for our eyes? Very proud of Steve Smith’s batting achievements and keep noting that he looks incredibly young. I am getting old.
    I’ve uploaded a few posts you’ll recognise to the link about MH17 and the sunflower seeds etc but I did write only specifically about acceptance or my incapacity to do it.
    Take care and if your team wins, you have a few beers. If they lose you have a few beers. It’s not all bad!
    xx Ro
    PS Thought you’d love this little story I picked up on my dog walk along the beach this morning. We were lamenting the cold weather and it was about 9 degrees and it actually rained before we left. Apparently, they had a cold snap on the Gold Coast recently where it hit 17 degrees and they were all racing for their cardigans. We don’t like the cold but it won’t be long now and we’ll be complaining about the heat again.
    That reminds me of a great Homer Simpson quote I jotted down the other night: :”I don’t know how much longer I can complain!”. Loved it!

Thanks Rowena. I will swiftly move past the cricket in order to maintain cordial relations. Though I must say Benaud was one of the voices of my youth, much loved here – defo a multinational treasure. And the Homer Simpson quote is a gem. And I read your pieces about the MH17 disaster and felt with you. Such a difficult thing to get ones head around. About the weather, I have friends in California who are much the same. Woosies

5. Pamela Morse says:

I grasp the acceptance thing, but not the cricket part…I like the way it looks on the field with the white suits against the green grass…and that is all I understand about the game.

6. Great post Geoff. I think Craig is a great role model for everyone, not just his children 🙂

7. TanGental says:

this is a test

8. Yvonne says:

There’s a lot of interesting stuff here Geoff – the way your cousin’s husband is accepting of his life, but not of society’s assumptions. Now I think about it, if he did “accept” those assumptions it would be resignation really anyway wouldn’t it? I do find it fascinating the way we’ve made this word mean so many different – and opposing – things. I also like how you point out that his acceptance of his life isn’t passive, that his blindness is just part of him. (And I liked your comment on my blog too!)

Thanks Yvonne. Yes it would be resignation if he allowed for the negatives. He gets pretty annoyed at people on various fora for the blind who just blame and don’t take what they have and run with it. In many ways he is annoyed they conform to some sort of stereotype because he sees it as acting as a limitation on his aspirations.

9. Autism Mom says:

Just love this: “He accepts what others think and rejects their assumptions.”