Dog tired, I need a cat nap.

04 - BOX - 021

A lot of dog

We had a dog when I was small. A pedigree boxer we called Punch but whose ridiculous kennel club name was Punchenello Tillingdown. He was a beast of a dog with a head the size of an asteroid and crafted out of tungsten, a chest you did not so much as hug as circumnavigate and testicles the size of grapefruit that caused my mother rather a lot of embarrassment as people ohhed and ahhed when they caught sight of them. He was the last pedigree pet we shared. Since then a catwalk (ho ho) of felines and canines have passed my way, all a confection of breeds, all with their own personalities and foibles and all fully aware of their power to charm and corral to their bidding. And all mongrels and mixed breeds in need of a home.

DSCN1226

Blitz did like ice cream…

I’ve learnt a little about my pet preferences on the way through. Fr’instance I won’t take cat siblings again. For me the charm of the cat is in its lap tendencies. Our current two are antipathetic towards the lap and that is a shame. They enjoy each other’s company too much. See, I am really selfish.

08500008

Crockett after the hat

For dogs I like the medium sized version. Our boxer was a delightful family pet, if you ignored the slobber, but he took up a lot of space and was difficult to control given his strength. Whereas Dog is perfectly sized for all the family. I also would avoid a breed mix that enjoys water. Dog will do all he can to avoid getting out of his depth and that suits me just fine.

08520006

Sisyphus… don’t ask.

What I will continue to do is rescue them. Pure breeds just don’t interest me. There are reasons why we don’t allow close proximity breeding in humans yet we permit it in dogs (amongst others). It really does encourage weakness.

08520007

The current incumbents – Tikka and Nutmeg

But I can’t really imagine a time without a pet. Even our much maligned tortoise has her charms.

Charli Mills has prompted us to a story involving a rescue animal.

June 10, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about an animal rescue. It can be a typical dog or cat rescue from the pound, or helping a critter less fortunate. Go where the prompt leads you.

A wing and a prayer.

‘It was an allergic reaction to the rose spray.’ Paul explained to the neighbours. ‘She needs rest.’

Mary sighed. People were kind but couldn’t they leave her alone? She could barely stand unaided just now; Paul set her up, with a blanket and a book and left her to enjoy the feeble sunshine.

Yesterday, she had watched the blue tits feeding their young. Today she noticed movement by the fox gloves. She shuffled to the flowerbed, feeling shaky. A small chick had fallen. It took all her strength to slip it into the nest. Would the little thing survive?

If you’d like to read the back story to Mary and her family, please click here.

This entry was posted in flash fiction, miscellany, pets, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Dog tired, I need a cat nap.

Love the pet history and photos. The story about Mary took a neat little little departure. 🙂

2. noelleg44 says:

Got some time, had to make a comment. We are similar in the stream of animals in our lives – have loved them all unconditionally and they all took a piece of my heart when they died. I can’t imagine my life without a cat (although I love dogs, too, especially the mutts!).

3. gordon759 says:

You forgot to mention that Punch was, like Adolf in the song, a mono-orchid, he only had one testicle. Mum thought nothing about it, dad was embarrassed and I was curious to know that orchid meant testicle and spent a long time trying to discover the relationship to the plant.

For once, not a fallible memory but reserving it for a later post (thanks for the spoiler!) But I remember the people who lived two up past the Stoddarts (Hailors?) and Mrs, forgetting the terminology as told by Mum said, ‘Oh he only had one tulip’

4. Ah, I can never resist a boxer story, a childhood dog story, and rescue stories. And here we have all of them 🙂

After the love of my childhood died, boxer Tarquin, Wizard of Skelder, we had dog less years and then my parents opted for another pedigree, a Ridgeback. Beautiful dog. But in their old age, they finally rescued a cross staffy (?). As for us, we’ve always had rescues, although interestingly out of five, three have been pure bred. A (water-loving) Lab, a GSD, and our current albino Podenco.

Both the Podenco and our other Spanish dog, GSD/husky cross, came from the street.

I have asked numerous times for the justification of buying an animal from a breeder when there are more than enough cats and dogs in rescue homes, some being killed 😦 And when there are (pedigree) breed specific rescues. I’m still waiting for an answer.

I would like to think, Kate, that we had moved beyond this inbreeding but the breeders and the kennel club and their shows mean it is still tolerated. Your varieties sound fab. Are they all big walkers? Just wondering given your horrendous periods in hospital. Not seeing them while you were there must have been a pain too.

• I find breeding for perfection rather spooky and Hitlerian. Ironically my rubbish-bin Podenco is a fine specimen of an animal, but I’m not entering him into beauty parades.

Pippa is too old (15? who knows) to walk far, although he loved walks in Spain in his youth. Young Snowy (not yet 2) is as agile and fit as they come. It’s great to see him running on the beach. Or even around the flat! Bounding on and off the furniture.

A has been walking both since The Broken Ankle. I’d have liked for him to have walked Snowy to the hospital and meet me outside, but staff wouldn’t take me outside to meet them, I needed a relative to do that, hence it was a non-starter. Leaving Snowy tied up would not be a smart idea. Apart from barking for Gibraltar, there would be a real chance of him being stolen 😦

But that was last year, and this year is slightly better.

Glad to hear things are improving. And the dogs sound a perfect combo. And I heartily approve of the name Snowy given my love (ridiculous passion?) for all things Tintin.

• Thanks Geoff. Well Snows isn’t a WFT, but he is extremely white. He’s Copito de Nieve in Spanish. Pippa is named after Pipaluk if you remember him.

Damn, had to look him up; it rang a bell, like Goldie the golden eagle, a blast from childhood.

• I don’t remember Goldie at all. I do, however, remember Shep. Is there anyone who doesn’t?

true , Shep was a national treasure. Goldie the golden eagle escaped from London zoo and kept the public most amused as the handlers ailed to catch it for several days. Here’s a test. What did a dog called Pickles do in 1966 to make him famous and a national hero!?

• I read about Pickles a while ago, on a blog, needless to state, otherwise I’d never heard of him. I was only seven! So, I had to look it up again at your question. Knew the name but as it wasn’t in my psyche like Pipaluk and Shep, I still couldn’t remember. I’ve run out of famous animals now!

I think me too! And while I was only 9, I suspect sport did resonate a little with me back then!

• gordon759 says:

Curiously enough I do know about Pickles. Unusual as it is sporting matter, and my sporting knowledge only goes up to the beginning of the century (the nineteenth century).

Ever so faithfully you follow the prompts and yet week after week it fits the story. Mary must be feeling like that weak fledgling. Is it so that we prefer to rescue than be rescued? You have a fine line of rescue animals, valued beyond any scrap of pedigree paper.

6. Pingback: Rescue Me « Carrot Ranch Communications