Q is for Queenstown

2014-12-13 08.49.23

The view as we approached Queesnstown

Oh ok, so this is just me being indulgent. And I’ve already posted today for the 1000speak topic of nurturing so time is sparse. Look away if pandering to my ego is really too much for a Monday.

Queenstown is in the South Island of NZ. It is famous as a place of adventure sports and outdoorness generally. Skiing in the Southern Alps. White water rafting. That sort of thing. It is also home to the extraordinary Ferg Burger, a humongous piece of carnivorism the likes of which it is hard to describe.

The Ferg

The Ferg

2014-12-12 19.27.25

.. and how to eat it – it isn’t only boa constrictors who can dislocated their jaws to swallow their prey…

However, if you do find your way there, try one. They are divine. Tip: take a friend, maybe even a nuclear family. They’ll easily fill up on one with some left over for a snack later.

2014-12-15 14.59.21

little cable car to the platform, strap you in and…

We, the Lawyer and me, visited for three days and we did all we could. Even an infamous A J Hackett bungy (or is it bungee) jump off this platform. They constantly weigh you to make sure the elasticity is correct. I guess it isn’t great marketing ‘Only ten people squished this year’.

What I really liked about Queenstown, in amongst all the shiny skinned youth and look at me clothes and hair, was this a delightful exuberance about living. We collected a hitch-hiker on our way out of Queenstown, a New Yorker ex-ballerina now extreme mountaineer who just about summed up the people and the place – international, open minded, embracing life. People had time for you even when they patently didn’t. You were important in their lives. Bottle that and you’d make a fortune.

2014-12-15 18.50.40

you can just sneak a peak of the town between the trees.

On our last day we climbed the mountain behind Queenstown as evening settled its hazy blanket over the lakes and town. People ran past us, smiling (even going up hill). The views were blissful.

2014-12-15 18.39.18

even the wildlife posed for us

We’d reached the end of our particular journey but in many ways we’d found a beginning. These youngsters have the energy, the outlook and the imagination to make a world in their image. I wish them well (just let them get better haircuts). Even the Lawyer couldn’t stop the energy outflow.

2014-12-15 18.20.01

Ready?

2014-12-15 18.20.03

steady

2014-12-15 18.20.04

are you watching…?

2014-12-15 18.20.28

Yeeee Haaa!!

AJH-NB-20141215-069-001-0003-JCAM02

oh dear…

Oh and for those who didn’t see it first time here is a fifty eight year old man with more waist than sense performing the bombs-away dive off the highest platform in NZ.

I might look like a pink parcel entering a waste disposal unit but, sod it, it was effing incredible. This is of course how it should be done.

AJH-NB-20141215-070-001-0004-JCAM02

well he’s only twenty-five for pity’s sake; I used to have vertebrae that did that

Take me back again and I’ll eat my ‘The Ashes are English’ T shirt.

This entry was posted in A to Z blogging challenge, miscellany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Q is for Queenstown

1. I so did not like Queenstown. It was 1985 I think.

Ah well, the world would be dull if we all hated and loved the same things. There’ll be overlaps and extremes I’m sure. It will have changed in 30 years but there’s plenty elsewhere to keep you amused!

2. Sue Vincent says:

To borrow a much abused phrase… Awesome!!

3. Sacha Black says:

Ok, three things.

1. I’m very impressed that you are so well travelled and all, but X and Z….???
    2. how are you so organised that you can pull out so many photos every day? I have thousands of the things but god knows where I’ve put them all
    3. Bungeeeeee…… omgeeee more like! not for me. I would actually break my back. Loved the video you were so excited! I would be shitting it! – we heard your voice too! that was a bit odd! not that your voice is odd, but hearing it was! It’s not something you hear when you only know people online! and no, I don’t mean the aussie telling you to get a wiggle on!

4. Loved the posts when you were on this trip. That first photo is so gorgeous, it looks altered/filtered. Great “Q”.

5. Cindi says:

Oh yah YOU Geoff! I loved my time in Queenstown a couple years ago, although physical issues didn’t let me explore and experience as fully as you did. 16 years ago I “modified” bungee jumped to celebrate my 40th birthday. It was at an amusement park in the States — not near as high or spectacular as your jump. 🙂 Thank you for sharing your Queenstown impressions and experience!

6. Rachel M says:

Wow! I can’t believe you did that. I would never do that.

7. roweeee says:

Wow Geoff. You put me to shame. Geoff and I went to NZ for our honeymoon almost 14 years ago. Did both islands in 2 weeks and almost did ourselves in. By the time we reached Queenstown, I think we were knackered. Always thought we’d get back there but not yet.
    Love the Yippee photo of the lawyer.
    I also did 1000 speak yesterday but only used a John Lennon quote. Just trying to hang in there. The weather here is absolutely awful and might even make it onto your news. We’ve had what they’re describing as “cyclonic” conditions. School closed 2 days in a row. Will be posting the photos soon. We ventured out for a drive and came back sodden. Hope you’re enjoying Spring. I want Summer back just the temperatures turned down a smidge xx Rowena
    xx Rowena

OH! hum well done!!

I still think you did a good jump! Queenstown, so I’ve heard, is similar to Sandpoint. That’s what they say at the pub that sells huge elk burgers. Scroll down abut 2/3 of the page and you’ll see a view of Sandpoint on Lake Pend Oreille from Schweiter Ski Resort: http://www.blusterbaywoodworks.com/about.html

10. Autism Mom says:

Amazing! Beautiful photos. I am glad you enjoyed the bungee jumping and I will leave that to you, lol. I prefer zip-lining. 🙂