A little bit of hugginess – be prepared #1000speak

I hope the web is bombarded by posts on compassion; 1000 Voices for Compassion should be exploding, like New Year fireworks, starting somewhere in Polynesia as the final stars cross the International Dateline and 20th February begins. The news will report the sprinkle of magic dust in the skies above Auckland as the cricket world cup is put into shadow by Kiwi voices on compassion; Sydney and the looming love over East Asia comes next, fizzing and bizzing with ideas and hope. The throbbing land mass and mass of humanity that comprises China and India, Bangladesh and Pakistan all those many faiths and philosophies brought together to achieve one small goal will catch the world’s attention. Russia and the Middle East blink away sleep, circle the mouse and ding, off go their posts, the tidal wave of ideas increasing in volume and the seismic shock pulls both energy and breath from everywhere into a multi-mile-high cacophony. To the north Old Tired Europe, still fighting wars about which it should know better kicks off its duvet while to the south vibrant slowly emerging Africa stretches into a dusty sun and each plot their way to a new ideal. By now the world is at one, tingling behind this gigantuanormous mountain of expectation. It rumbles, disturbing even the deepest trenches of that tiny world pond that separates this knowing bundle from the Americas, new worlds remade old and ready. Meso-Indians and Modern Immigrants mingle across optic fibres as they surf this Tsunami of unstoppableness. What is it we have created? We have created a

THING,

A BEAUTIFUL THING

TO COVER THE GLOBE’S SURFACE

SUFFOCATING THE NEGATVITIY AND REVEALLING

IN ITS WAKE

COMPASSION.

Today, I’ve experienced compassion. Last night I went to a writer’s group and on the train home my phone fell from my pocket. When I realised half an hour later, I was a mix of frustrated and fuming at my stupidity. But the Lawyer said ring it, we did and Ryan from Carshalton answered. He had it, he trusted me with his address and off I toddled today to collect it. A simple but kind act that has saved me hours of aggravation.

Then I came home and the Pond Expert had come round to help me with my fruit trees – he’s a fruit tree expert as well. In his hot hand he held a Spurtle.

2015-02-18 17.35.52

the Spurtle

The name suggests a Pokémon creature, the shape is more redolent of Harry Potter. In fact it is a Scottish kitchen tool to help make perfect porridge. Indeed the 2014 World Porridge champion, an Aberdeen doctor, Izhar Khan credits the spurtle, carved for him by a patient for his success. A generous gift, hand-carved just with me and my love of porridge in mind: it brought a big grin to my face.

So good people, let rip that mill race, lift up those sluices and let the juices of compassion flow.

This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to A little bit of hugginess – be prepared #1000speak

1. Yes! Let’s hope for this. Also, love the story about your phone. It might seem small but it’s those tiny acts that accumulate to make our world a more compassionate place.

2. somemaid says:

Its the small acts of compassion that make all the difference. I can’t wait to read all the posts on Friday.
    Where do they sell spurtles? We make a lot of porridge for the kids it looks just like a handy tool.

Lovely, energizing post, a vision I’ll have in mind as I recognize the world will be wrapped in compassion by the time I wake on Friday! How funny — a spurtle! I wrote my flash fiction today and mentioned Bob’s Red Mill. Each year the company has a recipe contests using their oats and they call it the Spar for the Spurtle! Yours is beautiful! Hope you gave Ryan from Carshalton a big hug!

4. Annecdotist says:

Agree, Geoff, those unexpected acts of kindness really warm our hearts.
    Incidentally, having run a B&B in Scotland, Mr A is a spurtle expert, though we rarely have porridge here. I prefer mine the Indian way, which involves toasting the oats first in a bit of butter.

5. Lisa @ The Meaning of Me says:

Love your description of everyone waking up, sending off their posts, and everything growing.

Have done and fingers crossed!!

7. Vidya Sury says:

I love the phrase “suffocating the negativity” and I am so glad we’re in this together!
    Love that Spurtle. 🙂

8. Galit Breen says:

Yes, a ripple felt around the world, and that begins with simple, thoughtful gestures that you and I can do everyday. Love this post, love this movement.

9. roweeee says:

Hi Geoff,
    Thank you very much for your post and I also enjoyed reading your about. I don’t know if you had this ad for Uncle Toby’s Oats in the UK but it was legendary here in Australia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTcA-e6bqVY
    I guess using a spurtle is how you’re supposed to make porridge!
    Here’s my contribution to the big day:https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/compassion-fatigue-a-light-bulb-moment/
    xx Rowena

10. BlogwatiG says:

Oh, the crescendo of your opening para…………simply loved it! You do have a wonderful way with words, and porridge, as it seems 🙂 I am so glad that you got your phone back, else what a heartache and a headache that can be. God bless Ryan and may his tribe increase. Yes, the ripples of #1000Speak will be felt worldwide, over years.

That’s lovely, Geoff. I’m late stopping by but can still appreciate the lovely stories you shared. How wonderful that it was a kind and generous person who found your phone. I think the population is mainly made up of kind and caring people. Too often we only hear about the opposite and are convinced to believe that meanness is more prevalent than kindness. Your acknowledgment keep the ripple going. 🙂

12. Roshni says:

We did pretty good! I do think that we did get noticed and, more importantly, I think we did reach people with our collective message!