Fallen Angel

Charli’s prompt this week is Angels

December 10, 2014 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that features an angel. Be as imaginative and cross-cultural as you’d like. Reach out to history, folklore or different traditions. Think of Christmas-angels, earth-angels, animal-angels or wherever the prompt leads you. The prompt is a spark; the story comes from you.

I’m no angel nor much of a believer in Angels. I liked these Angels as a boy…

… and I thought Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons one of the most ridiculous books I ever read. I assume Tom Hanks got paid a King’s ransom for that turkey.

It was however a topic that leant itself to a prompt for my on going saga. If you need to catch up you click here.

Present imperfect

‘Be an angel.’ Mary held out a tray to her daughter.

When Penny left Rupert said, ‘I wasn’t expecting an invite after what happened.’

Mary swallowed; she wanted to say it was only because of Penny.

‘Peace offering.’ He smiled sheepishly.

As Mary opened the parcel he added, ‘Dad’s diary. They were in a box in mum’s attic. I found them a week ago.’

1965. The year she was adopted. Why had Angela – her Dad’s mistress – had his diaries and not her mother? She flicked it open and read her dad’s spindly script. ‘An angel granted our wish today…’

This entry was posted in flash fiction, miscellany, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fallen Angel

Lovely take on the prompt and addition to Mary’s growing story. What’s in a name – an angel, that’s what. How fittingly clever!

I love those Angels! I wanted to be one of those Angels, running around in heels (okay, cowgirl boots) and guns wearing cute ditto jeans and heaving perfectly feathered bangs and long curls. Yes, dreams of the young and clueless…fun to watch the clip!

And Mary’s story is taking yet another sharp corner! Great interpretation and way to expand your story!

I’m intrigued by Mary’s story but I sense she needs longer to get a grip. Maybe you ought to think about a longer prompt as a year end or anniversary!

I love the emotional entanglements surrounding these people ( they are people to me!)
    O also find it strange that the last poem I wrote was called Fallen Angel’s Plight. ….spooky? xx

4. Annecdotist says:

Oops, so might she be more connected to Angela (another angel) than she thought?
    The plot thickens and thickens!

5. Sherri says:

What a beautiful flash…I love how you tie in your thread each week with Charli’s prompt. You are a wonderful writer Geoff 🙂

6. Pingback: Angels Among Us « Carrot Ranch Communications

7. Haha! Charlie’s Angels! 😀 I should have thought of that one.

This is some fantastic flash, Geoff. I love it. What is going on here, though?! Are you writing as the weekly prompts come up or do you know where this is going?

8. Hadn’t given Charli’s angels a thought until now. Perhaps because none of us are angels.
    Your flashes get better and better and you managed to get the angel theme in three times in different contexts. And to think of all this starting out with poor Milton’s death and his transformation to be an angelic unicorn.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )