In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae 1915

Here is the Archaeologist reciting it today.

Today at 11am the final poppy was installed in the moat at the Tower of London. Each represents one of the Commonwealth fallen – a sea of red, a sea of blood. These are photos from today, courtesy of the Archaeologist. We owe it to each and every one of them and each and every member of their families scarred by their loss to remember them and the futility of war. And the continuing futility.

2014-11-11 12.02.08

2014-11-11 12.31.58

2014-11-11 12.00.28

20141111_111322

20141111_104301

20141111_103134

This entry was posted in art, families, London and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to In Flanders Fields

The best of all war poem, in my opinion. I agree with your sentiments as, I have said the same in my posts for today. May we all come to our senses some day soon.

2. I keep writing and deleting this comment. I’m speechless and crying. ❤

3. Amber Prince says:

That was just lovely. The poems, the pictures and the Archeologist reciting of the poem. Thank you for sharing with us.

So moving. The glass poppies are astounding. Images have caught on over the pond, but I saw it first on TanGental. The Archaeologist recites beautifully.

5. Sherri says:

Thank you for sharing this Geoff. Beautiful rendition by The Archaeologist. So, so moving…

6. Archaeologist says:

Thanks for all the nice comments, it was incredibly moving to be at the Tower at 11 on the 11th.

7. Pingback: In Flanders Fields | TanGental

8. scskillman says:

Thank you for sharing this poem and the photos on your blog. I too went to the poppy installation at the Tower of London and took several photos. We have one of those ceramic poppies here at home in a glass vase. The installation was very moving. Let us hope that there are enough checks and balances in the world today, among those who are both right-minded, and powerful enough, to prevent a third world war. But sadly violence and intolerance is rooted deep in the human heart, and so long as human beings cannot handle their emotions when other people are different from them, there will be war. I took part in a singing event yesterday in Leamington Spa (which I’ll blog about): Songs of Unity was the theme. all the songs were about such things as “One world, one heart, one love” and about how we all have so much more in common, than that which divides us. The more people say these things, and the more widely they are communicated, the more chance there is that we will all live up to those words.