… and I’d like to thank…

Luccia Grey for nominating me for the Liebster Award.

liebster

I’m so touched that anyone thinks of me for these awards. While I retain a certain scepticism for some of these trophies, this one – using, as it does, a German expression nearly translated as ‘beloved’ or dearest’ – is a personal pleasure because to want to award it you have to gain some real pleasure for the blog you’ve nominated. And that, after all, for any writer and, indeed, any artist, is surely the goal? Or if it isn’t for some, well, it is for me.

So Luccia: THANK YOU!

If you haven’t met Lucia yet, you must. She’s a wonder and what makes her stand out for me is the uncanny way she blogs something that then goes ‘ding!’ and sets me off on a post (frolic) of my own. Luccia admits to being two people and her online persona is most intriguing. She lives part of her life in another century, gadding around in virtual crinolines and bustles, with a parasol twirling over her shoulder, yet she takes stunning photographs of which any Pre-Raphaelite would be proud to paint. She also takes on writing prompts with a flair and ambition that is admirable.

Ok, these award come with rules; I’m too long in the tooth and I spent too many years as a lawyer to have much respect for rules (just ways to control the masses while the elites party their arses off, if you ask me) but here we go. As with other awards, once you have been nominated, (1) you should post the badge on your blog, (2) thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog. In this case you should (3) answer the questions proposed and (4) write 10 questions for those you nominate to answer in turn.

So what are the questions and my answers? Ok here goes:

1. What motivates you to blog?

A little nip of Vanity laced with a dab of Ego, wilted onto a Desperation to be Liked tossed with a dressing of a Need for Praise and all wrapped up in a stodgy bun of Cheesy Humour and Facile Asides all of which serves to mask the real motivation, namely, I just like writing and sharing.

2. Choose a post you’d like us to (re)read.

My dad’s letters and poetry mainly because I wrote none of them and they speak of a long forgotten time and two people I still care for dearly even though they are long dead.

3. What do you feel strongly enough about to discuss for hours?

English cricket, cake and the beauty that is the Textiliste

4. Write the first line of a novel.

“Have a great time.” Gary Dobbs is my best mate. And, right now, I hate him. He knows what I think about going  home for the summer holidays.

This is the first line of my novel ‘Dead Flies and Sherry Trifle, to be published this year (I hope).

This is the current draft cover:

DEAD FLIES 3 cover ben boostWhat do you think?

5. Write the last line of a poem.

The head said no; the heart yes

6. Where would you live if you could live anywhere?

Where I live: Sarf London is just the business.

7. Which book(s) would you take with you to a desert island?

For a read to take me ages: Bill Bryson’s ‘A Short History of Nearly Everything’; laugh out loud funny: either John O’Farrell’s ‘Things Can Only Get Better’ or a PG Woodhouse anthology; for a dipper-inner ‘Britain’s Favourite Poems’ or ‘Kipling’s Complete Works’; for enjoyment time and again, any Raymond Chandler anthology. But if it had to be one volume (see 9)

8. Which historical person would you like to have lunch with?

Lunch must be fun so someone who tells good stories: Dickens, maybe, or Trollope but most likely, given the above, PG Woodhouse, or AP Herbert, or John Mortimer, or Peter Ustinov, or David Niven – any of the great raconteurs really.

9. Which book would you have liked to write?

The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams; genius.

10. Which is the next book you’re planning to read?

Fallout by Ruth Sutton: I met Ruth on an Arvon course years ago and Fallout is the third in her ‘Between the Mountains and the Sea’ trilogy and is to be highly recommended.

I know have to pose my own questions: I’m not sure I have ten but let’s see (they start a little morbidly, but they do improve):

1. If you find yourself in the condemned man’s (woman’s) cell, what is your last meal?

2. What music would you choose to be played at your funeral?

3. If you had the choice of our next Prime Minister (or President or Potentate or minor deity, depending where you are and who you are ruled by) who, from anyone living, would you choose and why?

4. When you are driving what irritates you most in other drivers/road users. If you don’t drive, move on.

5. Do you prefer first or third person books and why?

6. Imagine you had to lose a sense: which one and why?

7. Do you believe freedom of speech is an absolute or conditioned right, and if conditioned what principle limitations? If this offends you to answer, move on.

8. If you had your time again what put down or response would you like to have made but didn’t think of it in time?

9. What’s your funniest funny in under thirty words?

10. What is your favourite cartoon/graphic book/novel? Mine is Tintin (The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham’s treasure double bill).

The last piece of these awards is always trickiest. I looked at the rules and it seems to vary on nominations. Both the number and the criteria. But the essential piece is that I think of them as Liebster – dearest. And those I do are those I’ve known longest on this journey and usually (but not exclusively) we share a passion for joining in the flash fiction challenges posed by Charli and Lisa. So I’ll give a list and pingbacks and offer the award to them and if they want to accept please feel free. A number are Liebsters already but you’re my Liebsters now so it’s different, right? And if they want to answer the questions, ditto, but really they just need to know that I am very grateful they have allowed me to share a little piece of their time on this little rock of ours.

Thank you!

This entry was posted in awards, miscellany and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to … and I’d like to thank…

well congratulation you really deserve this award! I also thank you for passing it on to me. I hate when this happens because I can no longer do awards. I have such limited time that I cannot accept. I am truly grateful and I hope you will not think me ungrateful. xx

Not at all; frankly, Willow, initially I took the ‘chain letter’ view but then I thought, I was being churlish as a beginner like me. So now I take the view that it is very kind of those who nominate from a long list of others and for me it is just a way to say I appreciate your blog, your kind and sportive comments and, for now, a little fun. You should feel under no obligation whatsoever. At some point, I will be in your position, I will clear my widget bar and move on.

I’ll gladly be your Liebster, Geoff! I’m delighted that people are discovering your blog and these nominations are evidence of that. I’m just now delving into your Dad’s letters–amazing! I look forward to Sonnet Saturdays, and of course, your brilliant posts, flash and bites. That cover rocks and fits your style of writing. Can’t wait till it’s out! I will answer your questions sometime in the near future 🙂 Congratulations and thank you!

3. TanGental says:

As I had to write to My Lord the fifteenth Baron Walsingham (he was a client of the firm where I trained t be a solicitor back in the seventies – dear old boy – I’ll tell you sometime about when I poured tea on his conveyance, maybe in response to a prompt of Lisa’s) ‘I remain, humbly, our obedient servant..’

4. Thank you Geoff. I too am happy to be your Liebster and am honoured that you thought of me. I’m looking forward to reading your Dad’s letters and I always enjoy your offerings. I am in awe of your sonnet writing. I love the cover. It would make me pick it up to read the back cover blurb and that is the most you can ask of a cover. Thanks again and congratulations.

5. Annecdotist says:

Danke schon, (sorry I haven’t got time to hunt around for an umlaut) Liebkin, and congratulations, those awards are certainly piling in. I haven’t caught up with my Inspiring Blogger nomination yet but fully intend to do so, as well as answering these interesting questions. 😉

6. Archaeologist says:

Congratulations on the award, I noticed one of the categories for completion was create a last line of a poem. Well here is a challenge, for anybody, our father once thought of a last line of a limerick, but neither he, nor anybody else, has managed to compose the preceding four lines. The last line is;
    ‘And shattered her (or his) personal best.”
    over to you.

7. Sherri says:

Many congratulations Geoff…very well deserved if I may say. I love the look of your book cover and would like to read it for that alone! Love your choice of lunch companions. Especially David Niven… 🙂

Do you remember his hysterical interviews with Parky? I loved the man once I’d sen them and the Moon’s a Balloon is an all time classic memoirs.

• Sherri says:

You know, this does ring a bell. Will mention it to Hubby, he has a positively archival memory about such things and he is a huge fan of both Parky and David Niven!!

see if he remembers the story behind the title of Niven’s second autobiography ‘Bring on the Empty Horses’. Still has me chuckling…

• Sherri says:

Moon’s a Balloon one of his favourites, as I thought but doesn’t know the story behind the second… 😉

In the Charge of the Light brigade, Errol Flynn and David Niven were directed by Michael Curlitz a Hungarian refugee. During one scene Curlitz needed some riderless horses to charge down the valley; he bellows ‘Bring on the empty horses’ causing Flynn and Niven hysterics This is not the first time they have taken the mick out of Curlitz’s English. Furious he turns to them and shouts through his megaphone ‘Bastards. You think I know f**k nothing when I know f**k all’.

• Sherri says:

Haha!! That’s hilarious! Oh I do love this, marvellous, thanks Geoff for sharing this priceless gem. I don’t know what’s funnier, the last sentence or ‘Bring on the empty horses’ 😉

8. Lisa Reiter says:

Thank you Geoff ! So sorry I haven’t spotted this before – for some reason the ping back hasn’t registered in my comments as it should. Luckily I was procrastinating doing some harder jobs and thought I’d check out what else you’ve been up to. I gladly accept although have three other awards already in the queue and as people may be gathering, not a free moment over the summer – ugh.

Love the cover of your book and have enjoyed the chapters you have already posted – I look forward to more!

Meanwhile, congratulations on a very well deserved award. Your blog is certainly one of my favourites too. Lisa xx

No hurry to respond – hardly surprising the awards are lining up and the summer of school holidays etc is pressing in. Just keep on truckin’ as we used to say back in the mid 70s (we also had an expression ‘just keep doggin on’ but that has lost its potency somewhat – not sure why!).

9. Amber Prince says:

Congratulations and thank you for the kind words!

I really enjoy your posts that take us on your walks and journeys through London. And your Flash pieces are brilliant! (Love the draft cover for your novel!)

It may take me a bit to get to answering your questions so just bare with me. It’s been a busy summer! Lol

10. Pingback: Many thanks for two awards | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)

11. Pingback: Housekeeping « Carrot Ranch Communications

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )