Serendipity

Oscar winners have a list of thank yous as long as their arm but I’ve really only one for the moment and that is to http://annegoodwin.weebly.com/ a friend I made at Arvon some years ago now and whose increasingly confident and always enjoyable blog is one major reason, probably the major reason, I’ve have tried my hand at this blogging lark. So ta everso Anne. We must do another walk in your lovely Peak District this summer.
It is through Anne that I have found http://carrotranch.com/ and Charli’s weekly flash fiction challenges. Flash fiction on the week’s topic comprising 99 words, no more, no less is a really nice – no, scrub that – a really terrifying challenge for a man whose overwriting is legendary. Still, Serendipity is the topic this week and, well, I’ve had a pop and see what you think…
Dogged
Harry dropped his gaze to avoid looking at Sally. No point; she didn’t know he existed. He looked at the dog.
Milton looked back; he scratched his ear before lowering himself into a squat.
“No. Christ. Not here.”
Milton held Harry’s gaze as he shat on the pavement.
“Great” Harry stared at the sticky turd. He patted his pocket. No bags.
Harry glanced up, wondering if he could leave it. To his horror, Sally was a few paces away. She held out her crisp packet. “Here.”
“What?”
“For that.”
As Harry cleared up, Sally rubbed Milton’s head. “Cute dog.”

This entry was posted in flash fiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Serendipity

1. Annecdotist says:

I love this piece, Geoff (although don’t like to think of the logistics of picking up dog shit with a crisp packet) and glad you are joining in with the challenge. Thanks for shouting about my blog and glad to have drawn you into this weird and wonderful world.

2. Lisa Reiter says:

And full circle perhaps as it’s Anne who made me have a go at Charli’s flash fiction which was the final piece in a jigsaw I’d been puzzling for a while before the idea of a Bite Size Memoir! Absolutely love the on-line sharing of thought for ‘meeting’ people.

Serendipity at work! We just have to show up with our pencils sharpened.

Geoff you popped well and I hope you continue to flash with both me and Lisa! It will lead to marvelous discoveries in writing tight. I’ve been in this poopy situation and have to laugh because the past week my lovely son-in-law has been the one with the bag when my dog decides that sidewalks are great places to deposit digested kibble. He hasn’t even hand me the bag–he swoops it all up for me (he must really love my daughter)!

5. TanGental says:

This is fun! Why did I only start a week ago? This might even spur me on to publishing something. It’s about time.

6. Lisa Reiter says:

I think you’ve got a lot of something there with your writing Geoff – it’s SO readable. So you should think about publishing (and twittering)

7. Pingback: Letting Go of Safety « Carrot Ranch Communications

8. Pingback: Good things… | TanGental

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )